Contracts, Negotiations and Pay
Below are some articles you may want to read to prepare yourself for exploring employment contracts, negotiation and pay.
- Would you like the advice of a DVM who is also a lawyer and who has reviewed hundreds of DVM employment contracts? Read: Contracts, Benefits, and Practice Management for the Veterinary Profession by James F. Wilson, Jeffrey D. Nemoy, Alan J. Fishman. (This book has excellent information. Take a good look at the section on restrictive covenants (covenants not to compete). The book is available in the Vet Med library.)
- About negotiation Read: Negotiating Rationally, by Max H. Bazerman and Margaret A. Neale (Provides easy to read, concise research based information on effective negotiation.)
Copies of these articles are in a red notebook located on the career services shelves in the corner of the Vet Med Library.
- "Employment, starting salaries, and educational indebtedness of year-2001 graduates of US veterinary medical colleges." JAVMA: Jan 15, 2002, Vol 220, No 2, pg 179
- "Employment of male and female graduates of US veterinary medical colleges, 2000" (has info on benefits) JAVMA: Mar 15, 2001, Vol 218, No.6 pg 867
- "What are veterinarians worth?" JAVMA, Aug 1, 2001, Vol 219, No3 pg 302 Placement data for the 2002 DVM class from ISU.
- "A new way to pay doctors" Vet Econ: Special Ed 1999 p 32
- "Paying associates fairly" Vet Econ: Oct 1998, pg 62
- "Is fixed compensation best for your associates?", Vet Econ D. Tumblin, CPA, Oct. 98, p. 65
- "Compensating associates fairly", Vet Econ D. Tumblin, CPA; and E. Kimple, Feb. 02, p. 50
- "Contracts prevent stress", Vet Econ Nov. 98, p. 42 James Wilson
- "Get it in writing!", Vet Econ Dec. 01, p. 80
- "Draft a winning contract", Vet Econ Jan 00, pg 89
- "Fair emergency coverage and compensation", Vet Econ May 00, p. 22
- "Money Rx", Vet Econ July 01, pg 28
- "Protect personal income," Vet Econ C. Taylor, CPA, PFS, and F. Wood, CPA, CFP, March 99, p. 102
Prepare a budget and use career tools. Website VBMA http://www.vbma.biz/tools
You should estimate your student loan payments.
Financial Aid Advisor
Office of Student Financial Aid
0210 Beardshear Hall
If you have your PIN from the Dept of Education, you can access your loans here:
Check out links on the ISU Financial Counseling site:
Don't forget potential moving expenses. Homefair.com has a calculator that will estimate cost of living changes from one location to another. Use this calculator to estimate the cost of living associated with moving from Ames to the city of your choice.
Bureau of Labor Statistics data on veterinary salaries by state. http://www.acinet.org/acinet/select_occupation.asp?stfips=&next=occ_rep