About the ISU VDL
ISU VDL Mission
- Provide comprehensive and cutting edge diagnostic services agents as fast as possible
- Deliver accessible, timely, accurate, valid and consistent test results
- Detect and identify emerging domestic and foreign animal disease
- Lead efforts in disease surveillance and eradication
- Provide educational opportunities to professional and graduate students, scientists, diagnosticians and practitioners
- Develop state-of-the-art diagnostic tools and techniques
- Direct or support studies to provide understanding of pathogenesis, transmission, epidemiology and control of infectious and toxicological diseases
515-294-3564 (Main Office)
515-294-6961 (FAX case histories to this number)
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
College of Veterinary Medicine
Iowa State University
1600 South 16th St
Ames, IA 50011-1250
Print an address label
Laboratory business hours
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
The Lab will be closed for the following University Holidays
- Monday May 27, 2013
- Thursday July 4, 2013
After-hours emergency services
After-hours emergency service is available on weeknights, weekends, and during University holidays by calling our on-call student at 515-290-1969 who can assist and also provide access to diagnostic pathologists and toxicologists.
Delivery of specimens to the ISU Vet Diagnostic Lab after business hours can be placed directly in a refrigerator located inside the VDL submission door foyer.
After entering the foyer, follow the procedure below for unlocking the refrigerator and leaving samples for submission:
- Paperwork MUST accompany the submission. If you do not have paperwork completed, please do so with the forms provided and place the submission form with the sample(s).
- Enter the access code "1650" on the key holder and press down on the black button. (This will allow you access to the key.)
- Use the key to unlock the refrigerator. (The key will unlock either stainless steel door.)
- Place the sample into the refrigerator.
- Relock the refrigerator.
- Enter the access code on the key holder, and press and hold down the black button.
- Place the key back into the key holder until it snaps into place.
- Log your submission on the log sheet provided. Please fill out as much information as possible, so we can contact the submitting veterinarian if there are questions.