Indications of Unconsciousness
Indications that an animal has been properly stunned (or rendered unconscious) would include the following observations:
- Immediate collapse of the animal when the penetrating captive bolt is fired
- No attempt of the animal to right itself following the stun
- Body and muscles become immediately rigid after the shot, followed by varying degrees of involuntary movement of the limbs
- Normal rhythmic breathing stops
- The eyelids remain open with eyeballs facing straight ahead
At no time should one expect to hear vocalization as this would indicate that the animal is returning to sensibility.