Performance Animal Testing and Research
ISU Racing Chemistry (ISU RC) is a series of self-contained laboratories, support rooms, and animal holding areas located within the College of Veterinary Medicine at ISU.
- The ISU RC laboratory is a secured area dedicated to pari-mutuel and performance animal testing and research.
- Authorized personnel have access to the laboratory through proximity cards and a Marlok Electronic Security Access System.
- Assigned cards authorizations are determined by the ISU RC Director; electronic card access may be instantly modified or denied, eliminating security hazards associated with lost keys and conventional door locks.
- Electronic closure switches and motion detectors monitor the main entrance doors.
- All emergency exits have no outside hardware and are monitored via electronic door switches.
- The Laboratory is on the ground floor of the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, with controlled on and off hours access.
- The Laboratory perimeter walls extend up and are structurally integrated with the concrete floors above; therefore, entry into ISU RC is impossible from overhead areas.
- University police authorities are available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, including holidays.
ISU RC floor plan is available here.
Liquid Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS) Instrumentation
- Thermo Scientific LTQ linear ion trap mass spectrometer equipped with both electrospray ionization (ESI) and atmospheric pressure chemical ionization (APCI) interfaces to a Agilent 1100 binary HPLC (with 2 binary pump units and software controlled switching valve) and Agilent 1100 autosampler system for unattended operation.
- Thermo Scientific LTQ XL linear ion trap mass spectrometer equipped with both electrospray ionization (ESI) and atmospheric pressure chemical ionization (APCI) interfaces to a Thermo Scientific Accela quaternary UPLC and Accela autosampler system for unattended operation.
- Thermo Scientific Quantum Discovery MAX triple quadrapole mass spectrometer, equipped with both electrospray ionization (ESI) and atmospheric pressure chemical ionization (APCI) interfaced to a Thermo Scientific MS Surveyor quaternary HPLC with Photo Diode Array detector, and THERMO autosampler system for unattended operation.
Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Instrumentation
- Hewlett Packard 5970 Mass Selective Detector with electron impact ionization (EI) equipped with HP 5890 GC and HP 7673A-1 autosampler system for unattended operation ( 3 units)
- Windows Chemstation multi-instrument mini computer data station with 2 interactive terminal reporting stations
- Agilent Technologies 5975C Mass Selective Detector with electron impact ionization (EI) equipped with Agilent 7890 GC and Agilent 7683A autosampler/injector system for unattended operation ( 2 units)
- Blue Gnome analysis software for rapid identification of drugs in GC-MS drug screens
High Performance Liquid Chromatographs (HPLC) Instrumentation
- Hewlett Packard 1090L HPLC equipped with HP 1040 UV-Vis Diode Array detector and Automated Liquid Sampler (4)
- Proprietary in-house developed UV search & reporting program
- Blood Gas Analysis Instrumentation
- NOVA 4+ Electrolyte Analyzer
- Ion selective electrode technology same as Beckman EL-ise
- Verified in-house to be compatible with previous work done Beckman EL-ise
- Liquid-liquid extraction and Solid Phase Extraction (SPE) Equipment
- Zymark TurboVap LV sample evaporator, temperature and nitrogen flow controlled (3 units)
- Sample Rotor Racks (custom constructed for the Racing Laboratory) (2 units)
- Hot Water Baths (4 units)
- IEC Centra 8 general purpose
- IEC Centra 4B High Speed SORVAL Legend Mach 1.6R
- SORVAL ST40
- Manual manifold systems and robotic SPE systems
- General equipment for liquid extractions and TLC needs
- Molecular Devices UV Max Sequential microwell ELISA Reader with computerized controller (2 units)
- Molecular Devices Spectra Max Sequential microwell ELISA Reader with computerized controller
- Hamilton MicroLab 2200 XYZ Liquid handler with computer controller
- Hamilton Microlab Star XYZ Liquid handler with computer controller Biotek ELISA plate washer
- Thermo Scientific Cytomat ELISA Incubator