Animal Welfare Publications
1. Karriker LA, Abell C, Pairis MD, Holt WA, Sun G, Coetzee JF, Johnson AK, Hoff SJ, Stalder KJ. Validation of a lameness model in sows using physiological and mechanical measurements. Submitted to Journal of Animal Science, December 2011.
2. Whitlock BK, Coffman EA, Coetzee JF, Daniel JA. Effect of electroejaculation on plasma concentrations of substance P, cortisol, progesterone and vocalization in beef bulls. Submitted to Theriogenology. Accepted March 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2012.03.020
3. Theurer ME, White BJ, Coetzee JF, Edwards LN, Mosher RA, Cull CA. Assessment of behavioral changes associated with oral meloxicam administration at time of dehorning in calves using a remote triangulation device and accelerometers. BMC Veterinary Research 2012, 8:48 doi:10.1186/1746-6148-8-48
4. Pauly C, White BJ, Coetzee JF, Robert B, Baldridge S, Renter DG. (2012) Evaluation of Analgesic Protocol Effect on Calf Behavior after Concurrent Castration and Dehorning. Intern J Appl Res Vet Med. 10 (1). Available at http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol10Iss1/White.pdf.
5. Sutherland MA, Davis BL, Brooks TA, Coetzee JF. The physiological and behavioral response of pigs castrated with and without anesthesia or analgesia. J Anim Sci. 2012. Published online Jan 20, 2012. doi: 10.2527/jas.2011-4260
6. Coetzee JF. A review of pain assessment techniques and pharmacological approaches to pain relief after bovine castration in the United States. Invited Review. Applied Animal Behavioral Science. 135(4). 192 – 213.
7. Bergamasco L, Coetzee JF, Mosher RA. 2011. Quantitative electroencephalographic findings in conscious calves in response to surgical castration. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 34(6). 565 -576.
8. Coetzee JF, Nutsch AL, Barbur LA, Bradburn RM. (2010). A survey of castration methods and associated livestock management practices performed by bovine veterinarians in the United States. BMC Veterinary Research. 6(1):12.
9. White BJ, Coetzee JF, Renter DR, Babcock A, Thomson DU, Andresen D. (2008). Evaluation of two-dimensional accelerometers to monitor beef cattle behavior post-castration. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 69(9): 1005-1012.
10. Coetzee JF, Lubbers BL, Toerber SE, Gehring R, Thomson DU, White BJ, Apley MD. (2008). Plasma concentrations of substance P and cortisol in beef calves after castration or simulated castration. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 69(6): 751 – 762.
11. Coetzee JF, Gehring R, Bettenhausen AC, Lubbers BL, Thomson DU, KuKanich B, Toerber SE, Apley MD. (2007). Mitigation of plasma cortisol response in bulls following intravenous sodium salicylate administration prior to castration. Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 30 (4). 305 – 313.
12. Coetzee JF. (2000) A Novel Approach to the treatment of Downer Cows. Cattle Practice. 8: 1, 17-20.
1. Coetzee JF, Edwards LN, Mosher RA, Bello NM, O'Connor AM, Wang B, Kukanich B, Blasi DA. Effect of oral meloxicam on health and performance of beef steers relative to bulls castrated upon arrival at the feedlot. J Anim Sci. 2011 Sep 30.
2. Millman ST, Johnson AK, O'Connor AM, Zanella AJ. Animal welfare and epidemiology-across species, across disciplines, and across borders. J Appl Anim Welf Sci. 2009;12(2):83-7. No abstract available.
1. Berry N, Johnson A, Hill J. Lonergan S, Karriker L, and Stalder K. Loading gantry versus traditional chute for the finisher pig: Effect on welfare at the time of loading and performance measures and transport losses at the harvest facility. Submitted to Journal of Animal Science. December 2011.
2. Karriker L, Abell C, Pairis M, Holt W, Sun G, Coetzee J, Johnson A, Hoff S, and Stalder K. 2011. Validation of a lameness model in sows using physiological and mechanical measurements. 2011. Submitted to Journal of Animal Science. December 2011.
3. Fitzgerald R, Stalder K, Karriker L, Sadler L, Hill H, Kaisand J, and Johnson A. The effect of hoof abnormalities on sow behavior and performance. Accepted to Livestock Production October 2011. Impact factor 1.29 (ranking 41 / 56).
4. Fitzgerald R, Stalder K, Dixon P, Johnson A, Karriker L, Jones G. 2009. The accuracy and repeatability of sow body condition scoring. Prof. Anim. Sci. 25:415-425
5. Jackson C, Karriker L, Stalder K, Johnson A. Number of visits and length of each visit to a nipple cup drinker by 7-week-old pigs after a water deprivation period or ad libitum access to water. J Swine Health Prod. 2009;17(2):76–80.
6. Fitzgerald, R, Stalder K, Karriker L, Johnson C, Layman L, Johnson A. Developing and utilizing visual tools to assist pork producers in employee training in the evaluation of sow body condition. Journal of Extension. 2008. 46:2T0T7.
1. Fitzgerald, R. F*., K. J. Stalder L. A. Karriker, L. J. Sadler, H. T. Hill J. Kaisand and A. K. Johnson. 2012. The effect of hoof abnormalities on sow behavior and performance. Livestock Science. 145:230-238.
2. Elmore, MRP, JP Garner, AK Johnson, RD Kirkden, BT Richert, EA Pajor. 2012. If you knew what was good for you! The value of environmental enrichments with known welfare benefits is not demonstrated by sows using operant techniques. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, July issue. DOI:10.1080/10888705.2012.683982
3. Johnson, A. K., S. M. Lonergan W. D. Busby, S. C. Shouse, D. L Maxwell, J. D. Harmon, and M. S. Honeyman. 2011. Comparison of steer behavior and temperament when housed in a deep bedded hoop barn versus an open feedlot with shelter. Journal of Animal Science. 89:1893-1898.
4. Elmore, M. R*., A. K. Johnson, B. T. Richert, J. P. Garner, and E. A. Pajor. 2010. A flooring comparison: The impact of rubber mats on the behavior and welfare group housed sows at breeding. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 123:7-15.
5. Millman, S. T., A. K. Johnson, A. M. O’Connor, and A. J. Zanella. 2009. Animal welfare and epidemiology – Across species, across disciplines and across borders. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 2:83-87.
6. Johnson, A. K., L. J. Sadler, K. J. Stalder, and W. Powers. 2008. Influence of corn co-products on the behavioral repertoire of grow-finish pigs. ACTA- Agriculture Scandinavian Part A. Animal Science. 58: 209-213.
7. Johnson, A. K., J. L. Morrow-Tesch and J. J. McGlone. 2001. Behavior and performance of lactating sows and piglets reared indoors or outdoors. Journal of Animal Science. 79:2571-2579.
8. Fitzgerald, R*., K. Stalder, L. Karriker, C. Johnson, L. Layman, and A. Johnson. 2008. Developing and utilizing visual tools to assist pork producers in employee training in the evaluation of sow body condition. Journal of Extension. 46:2.
9. Johnson, A. K., J. L. Morrow, J. W. Dailey, and J. J. McGlone. 2007. Pre-weaning mortality in loose housed lactating sows: Behavioral and performance differences between sows who crush or do not crush piglets. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 105:59-74.
10. McGlone, J. J., E. H. von Borrell, J. Deen, A. K. Johnson, D. G. Levis, M. Meunier-Salaün, J. L. Morrow, D. Reeves, J. L. Salak-Johnson and, P. L. Sundberg. 2004. Review of scientific literature comparing housing systems for gestating sows and gilts using measures of physiology, behavior, performance and health. Professional Animal Scientist. 20:105-117.
11. Johnson, A. K., and J. J. McGlone. 2003. Fender design and insulation of farrowing huts: effects on performance of outdoor sows and piglets. Journal of Animal Science 81:955-964. Impact factor 1.56 (ranking 3/41; Agriculture, Dairy and Animal Science).
12. Grigor, P. N., M. S. Cockram, W. B. Steele, C. J. Le Sueur, J. A. Guthrie, A. K. Johnson, V. Sandilands, H. W. Reid, C. Sinclair, and H. K. Brown. 2001. Effects of space allowance during transport and duration of mid journey lairage period on the physiological, behavioural and immunological responses of young calves during and after transport. Animal Science. 73:341-360.