Dr. Holly Bender is a veterinary clinical pathologist who creates software tools and methods to improve higher education, especially in the areas of diagnostic skills and problem solving. She is the Associate Director of the Iowa State University Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Director of the Preparing Future Faculty program and the Graduate Student Teaching Certificate. She has received 28 teaching awards and 10 teaching honors including those on the College, University, State and National level.
She is dedicated to the improvement of higher education through scholarly research and software development and brings together experts from a wide range of disciplines including instructional design and evaluation, veterinary medical informatics, human computer interaction, computer science and clinical pathology. She led the design, development and implementation of a cognitive tool named the Diagnostic Pathfinder. The Pathfinder is in use in 25 veterinary schools in the US, Canada, Australia, South America and Europe. Recently, she has been collaborating to re-engineer the Diagnostic Pathfinder into an expanded problem solving tool called ThinkSpace with faculty who are motivated to engage their students actively in the fields of education, toxicology, pharmacology, parasitology, internal medicine, anatomic pathology, microbiology, physics, English, statistics, journalism and engineering.
Gr. St. 585 Preparing Future Faculty Introductory Seminar
Gr. St. 586 Preparing Future Faculty Intermediate Seminar
Gr. St. 587 Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Practicum
Gr. St. 588 Preparing Future Faculty Special Topics
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathology
- 1987 Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Pathology, Virginia Tech
- 1987 Clinical Pathology Residency VMRCVM and the University of Georgia
- 1979 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University
- 1976 Bachelor of Science, Microbiology, Michigan State University
Danielson, JA, Preast,VA, Bender, HS, Hassall, L (2014). Is the effectiveness of lecture capture related to teaching approach or content type? Computers & Education 72, 121–131.
Dzikamunhenga RS, Wilberts B, Yaeger M, Burrough E, Hostetter J, Bender HS, Larson W, and R. Griffith RW (2013) Safety Evaluation of Lasalocid Use in Chinese Ring-Necked Pheasants (Phasianus colchicus). Avian Diseases: June 2013, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 188-191.
Bender HS, Danielson, JA. A Novel Educational Tool for Teaching Diagnostic Reasoning and Laboratory Data Interpretation to Veterinary (and Medical) Students. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine. 2011 Mar; 31(1): 201-215.
Sponseller BA, Strait E, Jergens A, Trujillo J, Harmon K, Koster L, Jenkins-Moore M, Killian M, Swenson S, Bender HS, Waller K, Miles K, Pearce T, Yoon KJ, and Nara P. Influenza A pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection in domestic cat. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010 Mar; 16(3):534-7.
Danielson, JA, Mills, EM, Vermeer, PJ, and Bender, HS (2008). The Diagnostic Pathfinder: Ten years of using technology to teach diagnostic problem solving In F. Columbus (Ed.), Educational Technology Research Advances: Nova Science Publishers
Danielson JA, Fales-Williams AJ, Sorden SD, Myers RK, Bender HS, Mills EM. Peer Assessment of a Final-Year Capstone Experience for Formative Evaluation of a Pathology Curriculum. J Vet Med Educ, September 2008; 35: 466 - 474.
Danielson J.A., Mills, E.M, Vermeer, P.J., Preast, V.A., Young, K.M., Christopher, M.M., George, J.W., Wood, D.R. and Bender, H.S. Characteristics of a Cognitive Tool that Helps Students Learn Diagnostic Problem Solving. Educational Technology Research and Development 55, 499-520, 2007.
A Fales-Williams, JA Danielson, R Myers, S Sorden, HS Bender. The Case Correlation Assignment: Connecting Antemortem and Postmortem Data in the Senior Year at Iowa State University. J Vet Med Educ, Spring 2007; 34: 183 - 193.
Bender, H.S., Young, K. M., Danielson, J. A., Mills, E.M., Vermeer, P.J., Development and Implementation of the Diagnostic Pathfinder, A Mind Tool Used to Teach Clinical Pathology. Conference Proceedings of the Association of American Medical Colleges Central Group on Educational Affairs. University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin, April 8, 2005.
Danielson JA, Bender HS, Mills EM, Vermeer PJ, Preast VA: Helping Learners Gain Diagnostic Problem Solving Skills: Specific Aspects of the Diagnostic Pathfinder Software Tied to Learning Outcomes. Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 2004
HS Bender, KM Young, JW George, MM Christopher, JA Danielson, PJ Vermeer, EM Mills, RD Wood, PD Pion, VA Preast, CB Andreasen. Implementation of the Diagnostic Pathfinder, an Internet-Based Tool to Teach Clinical Pathology in Diverse Educational Settings. Conference Proceedings of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists and the American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology 346-359, 2003.
Bender HS, Lockee BB, Danielson JA, Mills EM, Boon GD, Burton JK, Vermeer PJ, Zimmerman KL, Hilmer KM: Mechanism-based diagnostic reasoning: thoughts on teaching introductory clinical pathology. Vet Clin Pathol 29: 77-83, 2000
Zimmerman KL, Bender HS, Boon GD, Prater MR, Thorn CE, Prater D, Robertson JL, Saunders GK, Sponenberg DP, Inzana KD, Lanz OI, Wright E: A comparison of the cytologic and histologic features of meningiomas in four dogs. Vet Clin Pathol 29: 29-34, 2000
Associate Director, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) 2011-present
Member of the National Leadership team for the Center for Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
Institutional PI for the Alfred P. Sloan funded grant to build an IT structure for CIRTL
Co-Chair of the Taskforce on the ISU Graduate Writing Center
- 2011 ISU SCAVMA Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Clinical Sciences
- 2009 William O. Reece Award for Outstanding Academic Advising
- 2008 Norden Distinguished Teacher Award- Iowa State University CVM
- 2007 Iowa State University Sesquicentennial Hubbard Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2007 ISU SCAVMA Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Clinical Sciences
- 2004 National Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award - Outstanding Veterinary Medical Educator of the Year
- 2004 National SAVMA Teaching Excellence Award
- 2004 Norden Distinguished Teacher Award- Iowa State University CVM
- 2004 VEISHEA Faculty/Staff Member of the Year-ISU CVM
- 2003 ISU SCAVMA Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Basic Sciences
- 2002 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 2004
- 2002 XCaliber Award for Excellence in Teaching with Technology
- 2002 Clifton Garvin Fellowship Award for Research Excellence
- 2001 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 2003
- 2001 W.E. Wine Award for Teaching Excellence at Virginia Tech
- 2000 VMRCVM Teaching Excellence Award
- 2000 Virginia Tech Certificate of Teaching Excellence
- 1999 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 2001
- 1997 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1999
- 1996 Merck Creative Teaching Award
- 1993 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1995
- 1992 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1994
- 1991 Merck Creative Teaching Award
- 1991 Norden Distinguished Teacher Award VMRCVM
- 1988 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1991
- 1988 VMRCVM Teaching Excellence Award
- 1985 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1988
- 1984 Young Investigator Award, American Diabetes Association
- 1983 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1986
- 2010 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2010 Graduation
- Featured Speaker for Senior Banquet, Class of 2010
- 2009 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2009 Graduation
- 2007 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2007 Graduation
- 2006 Fellowship, Wakonse Conference on College Teaching, Camp Miniwanca, MI
- 2006 “Hooder” for ISU CVM Class of 2006 Graduation
- 2005 Senate Resolution 29-recognition by the State of Iowa General Assembly for Teaching Excellence
- 2005 “Hooder” for ISU CVM Class of 2005 Graduation
- 2004 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2004 Graduation
- 2001 Induction into the Academy of Teaching Excellence Virginia Tech
- American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology (ASVCP) 1982-present
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP) 1995-present
- American Veterinary Medical Society (AVMA) 1979-present
- Phi Zeta Veterinary Honor Society 1979-present, President of Chi chapter 1988-91