DVM, MS, DACVS-LA
Vet Diagnostic & Production Animal Med
- Limb biomechanics of large animal species in health and disease specifically related to osteoarthritis, laminitis, and in equids, navicular syndrome, in a clinical environment.
- Surgical biology.
- Education of veterinary students.
VCS 314 – Veterinarian in Society IV - Communications
VCS 393 – Principles of SurgeryVDPAM 340 – Clinical Foundations
VCS 440 – Introduction to ClinicsVCS 481X – Advanced Equine Dentistry
VDPAM 445 – Ruminant and Swine Clinical Medicine
VDPAM 476 – Food Animal Field Service
VDPAM 495 – Small Ruminant Production Medicine
VPTH 410 – Llama Medicine
Masters of Science in Veterinary Clinical Science, Iowa State University
ACVS Residency in Equine Surgery, Iowa State University
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, South Dakota State University
- Schleining JA, Biomechanical considerations in equine laminitis, M.S. Thesis, Iowa State University 2009
- Madron MM, Schleining JA, Caston SC, Reinertson EL, Evans LJ. Laser treatment of urethral defects in geldings and stallions used as the primary treatment or in combination with a temporary subischial incision: 8 Cases (2003-2011). Equine vet educ 2013 July 25(7):368-73.
- Schleining JA, Bergh MS. Surgical Correction of Angular and Torsional Metatarsal Deformity with Cylindrical Osteotomy and Locking Compression Plates in an Angus Calf. Accepted for publication. Veterinary Surgery.
- Kreuder AJ, CoetzeeJF, Wulf LW, Schleining JA, KuKanich B, Layman LL, Plummer PJ. Bioavailability and Pharmacokinetics of Oral Meloxicam in Llamas. BMC Vet Res. 2012 Jun 21;8:85. *Online Highly Accessed designation
- Schleining JA, McClure SR, Derrick TR, Wang C. Effects of industrial polystyrene foam insulation pads on the center of pressure and load distribution in the forefeet of clinically normal horses. Am J of Vet Res. 2011 May;72(5):628-33.
- Schleining JA, McClure SR, Evans RB, Hyde WG, Wulf LW, Kind AJ. Liposome-based diclofenac for the treatment of inflammation in an acute synovitis model in horses. J vet pharmacol therap. 2008, 31, 554-561.
- Schleining JA, Reinertson EL. Evidence for dimethyl sulphoxide (DMSO) use in horses. Part 2: DMSO as a parenteral anti-inflammatory agent and as a pharmacological carrier. Equine vet educ 2007 Dec 19(11):598-9.
- Schleining JA, Reinertson EL. Evidence for dimethyl sulphoxide (DMSO) use in horses. Part 1: DMSO as a topical and intra-articular anti-inflammatory agent. Equine vet educ 2007 Nov 19(10):545-6.
- Wong D, Winter M, Haynes J, Sponseller B, Schleining J. Dandy-Walker-Like syndrome in a quarter horse colt. J Vet Intern Med 2007 Sep-Oct;21(5):1130-4.
- Schleining JA, Voss ED. Hypertrophic Osteopathy Secondary to Gastric Squamous Cell Carcinoma in a Horse. Equine vet educ 2004 Dec 16(6): 304-7.
- Plummer PJ and Schleining JA Assessment and Management of Pain in Small Ruminants and Camelids. In Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice. Elsevier. In Press. E-pub ahead of print. doi:10.1016/j.cvfa.2012.11.004
- Schleining JA, Kreuder AJ, Whitley EM- Atypical Contagious Ecthyma in an Alpaca. in Proceedings International Camelid Health Conference, Corvallis, Oregon. July 2013
- Kreuder AJ, Whitley EM, Schleining JA - Enterocolitis and Septicemia due to Salmonella agona in a yearling llama. in Proceedings. International Camelid Health Conference, Corvallis, Oregon. July 2013.
- Schleining JA – Common Disorders of the Neonate. Proceedings. Iowa State University Camelid Symposium, February 2013
- Schleining JA – Camelid Dental Disorders. Proceedings Iowa State University Camelid Symposium, February 2011
- Schleining JA, McClure SR, Derrick TR, Wang C. Effects of industrial styrofoam on the center of pressure and load distribution in the forefeet of normal horses. Proceedings. 56th Annu Conv Am Assoc Equine Practnr. 2010; 56:148.
Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
Veterinary Leadership Experience
Veterinary Leadership Institute, Post Falls, Idaho
Wakonse Conference on College Teaching
University of Missouri, Shelby, Michigan
Preparing Future Faculty Fellow
Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- SCAVMA Clinical Sciences Teaching Award, March 2013
- The Society of Phi Zeta, 2012
- Wakonse Fellow, 2011
- Gamma Sigma Delta, the Honor Society of Agriculture, 2009
- Golden Key International Honour Society, 2008
- William G. Bauman Scholarship in Equine Medicine and Surgery, 1999, 2000
- Student AVMA Executive Board, International Exchange Officer, 1999
- Delegate to the Student American Veterinary Medical Association, 1998
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- American Association of Equine Practitioners
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Society of Phi Zeta
- South Dakota Veterinary Medical Association
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
- American Quarter Horse Association
- Iowa Horse Council
- South Dakota State University Alumni Association
- Iowa State University Veterinary Medical Alumni Association