Christine Anne Petersen, DVM, PhD
2010-present Major Professor and director for Merial/NIH T35 summer scholars program 13 week seminar series. Summer 2010, 2011.
2005-present Co-major Professor, Maddie’s Shelter Animal Medicine course, VCS 305, Iowa State University, College of Veterinary Medicine. Teach four hour long lectures on shelter design, zoonoses, infection control in animal shelters and disaster medicine. Spring 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
2011-present Guest Lecturer, Medical Entomology, ENT 374, Iowa State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Teach hour long lecture on US Canine Leishmaniasis, Immune responses, Treatments and Preventatives. Spring 2011.
2011-present Guest Lecturer, Novel Controls for Infectious Diseases, Micro 604, Iowa State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Teach hour long lecture on novel adjuvant approaches for vaccination against chronic infectious diseases. Spring 2011.
2009-present Guest Lecturer, Human-Animal Bond in Memoirs and Film, HON 321, Iowa State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Teach hour long lecture on Animals and Disaster Response. Fall 2009, 2010.
2007-present Guest Lecturer, Medical Immunology, BBMB 615, Iowa State University, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Teach hour long lecture on Immunologic tolerance. Fall 2007, 2009, 2011.
Dr. Petersen’s Research Interests
• Investigation of host-pathogen interaction between the murine or canine immune system and Leishmania species.
• Characterization of key signaling events required to induce clearance of disease vs. chronicity
• Understanding of processing of and immune responses to carbohydrates
• Development of diagnostics and epidemiological studies of Brucella canis
•Prevention of Infectious Diseases in kennel/animal shelter settings
2004 - Ph.D. (Immunology and Infectious Diseases), Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115
1998 - D.V.M., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
1994 - B.A. (Biology) with departmental honors, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218
Publications (peer-reviewed): journal articles in reverse chronological order
1. Gibson-Corley, K. N., Boggiatto, M.P., Petersen, C.A., Waldschmidt, T.J, Jones, D.E. (2012) “B cell germinal center response but not IL-21 production leads to differential healing after Leishmania co-infection.” American Journal of Pathology, (in press).
2. Krupka, M., Seydel, K., Yee, K., Kim, R., Lin, C.-Y., Jiang, H., Petersen, C.A., Taylor, T., Daily, J. (2012) “Broad induction of type-1 Interferon responses associated with subsequent mild malaria following an episode of severe malaria.” Infection and Immunity, (in press).
3. Murphy, M.D., Larson, J, Tyler, A., Eia, C. Bickett-Weddle, D., Flaming, K.P., Claudia J. Baldwin, 2. 2. C.J., Petersen, C.A. (2012) “Assessment of Pet Owners Approaches to Medical and Behavioral Diseases: insights into pet adoptability and willingness to manage pet diseases.” J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc., (in press).
4. Osanya A, Song EH, Metz K, Shimak RM, Boggiatto PM, Huffman E, Johnson C, Hostetter JM, Pohl NL, Petersen CA. (2011) “Pathogen-derived oligosaccharides improve innate immune response to intracellular parasite infection.” American Journal of Pathology, Vol. 179(3), 1329-37.
5. Petersen, C.A., Greenlee, M. H. (2011) “Manifestations of Neurologic Leishmaniasis.” Journal of Neuroparasitology, (2) Article ID N110401, 5 pages, doi:10.4303/jnp/N110401.
6. Boggiatto, M.P., Gibson-Corley, K. N., Metz, K., Gallup, J., Hostetter, J.M., Mullin, K., Petersen, C.A. (2011) “Vertical transmission of Leishmania infantum in naturally-infected Foxhounds in North America.” PLoS Negl. Trop.Dis. 5(4): e1019. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0001019.
7. Ramer-Tait, A.E., Petersen, C.A., Jones D.E. (2011) “IL-2 limits IL-12 enhanced lymphocyte proliferation during Leishmania amazonensis infection.” Cell. Immunol., doi:10.1016/j.cellimm.2011.03.016.
8. Song, E., Osanya, A., Boggiatto, P., Petersen, C., Pohl, N. (2010) “Synthesis of multivalent Leishmania-associated capping carbohydrates and evaluation of structure-dependent immune responses.” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 132(33): 11428-30.
9. Boggiatto, M.P., Ramer-Tait, A.E., Gallup, J., Gibson-Corley, K. N., Metz, K., Kramer, E. E., Hostetter, J.M., Jones, D.E., Petersen, C.A. (2010) “Immunologic indicators of clinical progression during canine Leishmania infantum infection.” Clin. Vacc. Immunol., 17(2) 267-73.
10. Gibson-Corley K.N., Boggiatto P.M., Petersen C.A., Jones D.E. (2010) Co-infection with Leishmania major and Leishmania amazonensis in Two Murine Models; a role for B cells in the Cell-Mediated Immune Response. International Journal of Parasitology, (40), 157-161.
11. Petersen, C.A. (2009) “Leishmaniasis: An Emerging Disease Found in Companion Animals in the United States.” Topics in Companion Animal Medicine, Nov;24(4):182-8.
12. Boggiatto, M. P., Gibson-Corley, K. N., Ghosh, M., Jie, F., Jones, D. E., Petersen, C. A. (2009) “Altered dendritic cell phenotype in response to Leishmania amazonensis is mediated by MAP kinase, ERK.” American Journal of Pathology, Vol. 174(5), 1818-1823.
13. Petersen, C.A. (2009) “New means of Canine Leishmaniasis transmission in North America; the possibility of transmission to humans still unknown.” Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases, Article ID 802712, 5 pages. (doi:10.1155/2009/802712).
14. Gibson-Corley, K. N., Hostetter, J.M., Hostetter, S.J., Mullin, K., Ramer-Tait, A.E., Boggiatto, M.P., Petersen, C.A. (2008) “Disseminated Leishmania infantum Infection in Two Sibling American Foxhound Dogs from Potential Vertical Transmission.” Canadian Veterinary Journal, Vol. 49, 1005-1008.
15. Fisch, S., Grey, S, Heymans, S, Wang, B, Haldar, S, Pfister, O, Cui, L, Kumar, A, Lin, Z, Sen-Banerjee, S, Das, H, Petersen C.A., Mende, U, Burleigh, B.A., Zhu, Y, Pinto, Y, Liao, R, and Jain M.K. (2007) “The Kruppel-like factor KLF15 is a novel regulator of cardiomyocyte hypertrophy.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol 104, 7074-7079.
16. Mukbel R.M., Patten C., Ghosh, M, Gibson-Corley, K, Petersen C. and Jones D.E. (2007) “Macrophage killing of Leishmania amazonensis amastigotes requires both nitric oxide and superoxide.” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Vol 76(4), 669-675.
17. Mukbel, R. M., Petersen C. A., and Jones D. E. (2006) “Soluble factors from Leishmania major-specific CD4+ T cells and B cells limit L. amazonensis amastigote survival within infected macrophages.” Microbes and Infection Vol 8(9-10), 2547-2555.
18. Petersen C.A., Krumholz K.A., Carmen J., Sinai A.P. and Burleigh B.A. (2006) “Trypanosoma cruzi infection and Nuclear Factor kB activation prevents apoptosis in cardiac cells.” Infection and Immunity, Vol 74(3), 1580-1587.
19. Petersen C.A., Krumholz K.A. and Burleigh B.A. (2005) “Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy Elicited by Toll-like Receptor Signaling” Infection and Immunity, Vol 73(10), 6974-6980.
20. Woolsey A.M., Sunwoo L., Petersen C.A., Brachmann S.M., Cantley L.C. and Burleigh B.A. (2003) “A PI-3 kinase-independent phagosome maturation pathway follows trypanosome invasion of non-phagocytic cells.” J. Cell. Science., Vol 116, 3611-3622.
21. Petersen C.A. and Burleigh B.A. (2003) “Role for IL-b in Trypanosoma cruzi-induced Cardiomyocyte Hypertrophy.” Infection and Immunity, Vol 71(8), 4441-4447.
Professional Society Service/Organization/Administrative Duties
2010- present Co-director of Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine NIH T35-funded Merial-co-sponsored DVM summer research scholars program.
2007-2010 Coordinated Breeders symposium sponsored by the American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation held at ISU CVM, Ames, IA, Nov. 17-18, 2007, on important health topics for dog breeders, 60 attendees, and 10 speakers. Second Breeder’s symposium successfully held June 5th, 2010, 70 attendees.
2008-present American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Young Investigator Award committee. Coordinate and Judge poster and oral presentations from 100+ candidates.
Microbes and Infection 2010-present
Corporate Board Membership
Canine Leishmaniasis Advisory Board 2011-present
Laboratorios LETI, Immunology and Vaccines for Global Health, Barcelona, Spain
2010-present Immunobiology interdepartmental program membership Committee
2010-2011 Co-chair. (2010), chair (2011) Immunobio. Interdept. workshop Committee
2011-present College of Veterinary Medicine, Research Advisory Council, ISU.
2010-present Co-chairperson, College of Veterinary Medicine International Affairs Committee, ISU.
2007-present Center for Food Security and Public Health Supervisory Committee (Interim), ISU.
2008-present Co-chairperson, Ramsey College Wide Seminar Series Committee, College of Veterinary Medicine, ISU.
2005-present Ad-hoc College Diversity Committee College of Veterinary Medicine, ISU.
Inaugural International Society for Companion Animal Infectious Diseases Symposium invited speaker, Toulouse, France, 2010.
2003-2007 NIH Health Disparities Scholar.
2006-2007, President, Veterinary Honor society, Phi Zeta, gamma chapter, Iowa State University.
2004-present, member Veterinary Honor society, Phi Zeta, gamma chapter, Iowa State University.
1998 Leonard Pearson Veterinary Prize, for professional and academic leadership, Cornell University.
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Society of Microbiologists
American Society of Parasitologists
American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
American Veterinary Medical Association
Association of Shelter Veterinarians
International Society for Companion Animal Infectious Diseases
Iowa Veterinary Medical Association