Lisa K Nolan
Lisa K. Nolan
DVM, MS, PhD
Veterinary Medicine Administration
2508 Vet Med
Our research focuses on bacterial diseases of production animals, including their effects on animal health, human health and food safety. The long-term goal of one of our projects is to understand the molecular pathogenesis of Extraintestinal Pathogenic Escherichia coli (ExPEC)-caused diseases. ExPEC are the causative agents of such diverse diseases as avian colibacillosis and human urinary tract infection, neonatal meningitis, and sepsis. Understanding ExPEC virulence, resistance, and host specificity should lead to more rational approaches for future disease control. Also, we are exploring the role that plasmids play in the pathogenesis of bacterial disease and in the evolution of bacterial virulence and resistance. Various approaches are used in these studies including classical bacteriologic, functional genomic, and proteomic techniques in order to gain an appreciation for the total host: pathogen interaction.
D.V.M.: University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1988.
M.S.: Medical Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1989.
Ph.D.: Medical Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1992.
- Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2009-
- Associate Dean, Academic and Student Affairs, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2007-2009
- Executive Chair, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2006-2007
- Chair, Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2003-2008
- Interim Chair, Department of Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, 2004-2005.
- Director, Great Plains Institute of Food Safety, North Dakota State, 1999-2003
- Member, North Dakota EPSCoR Steering Committee, 2001-2002
- Member, Center for Advanced Technology Transfer and Traineeships Advisory Board, NDSU, 2002-2003
- Member, NDSU Research Foundation Advisory Board, 2002-2003
- Member, FDA-CVM's Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee, 2003-2006
- Member, Editorial Review Board, Avian Diseases, 2004-
- Associate Editor, Diseases of Poultry, 12th edition, 2005-
- Preferred AG Instructor, College of Agriculture Student Activities Council, NDSU, 1995
- Mortar Board Preferred Professor, NDSU, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
- Commendation, College of Agriculture Excellence in Teaching, Early Career, NDSU, 1996
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi, 1998-
- Mary McCannel Gunkelman 10th Annual Recognition Award, NDSU, 1998
- University-Wide Odney Teaching Award, NDSU, 1999
- Outstanding Academic Advisor, College of Agriculture, Mortar Board
- National Honor Society, NDSU, 1999
- Professorship, Walter F. and Verna Gehrts Presidential Professor, NDSU, 2001-2003
- Distinguished Educator of the Year, Blue Key National Honor Society, NDSU, 2001
- American Veterinary Medical Association, 1984-
- American Association of Avian Pathologists, 1991-
- American Society for Microbiology, 1992-
- International Society of Plasmid Biology, 2004-
Lab website: http://ecoli.cvm.iastate.edu/display/NolanLab/Home