Key words: "Lactation Physiology", "Histology" and "Behavior (Motion) Analysis"
Have been involved in various and mostly multidisciplinary research projects since undergrad education across three continents. Currently at Iowa State University, am involved in kinematics studies of two large projects:
1) Developing a spinal cord stimulator to control chronic backpain (ovine model); and,
2) Developing new therapies for Mucopolysaccharidosis types I and III (canine model).
Have been teaching/mentoring occasionally in both undergrad and grad levels across three continents since 2001:
A few of the courses that I've taught (Clemson University, University of Copenhagen and IACECR):
Experimental Animal Nutrition and Physiology,
Couple of grad projects I've co-supervised (University of Copenhagen):
"Histological study of the effect of omitting the dry period on mammary gland development during gestation and laction in dairy goats"; and,
"Effect of the dry period and parity on changes in mammary cell turnover during gestation and lactation in dairy goats."
Iowa State Unviersity (Postdoc in behavior analysis; since 2012);
Iowa State University (GC-Emerging Leaders Academy; 2013-2014);
Clemson University (Postdoc in lactation biology; 2010-2012);
University of Arizona (Visiting Scholar in lactation physiology; 2009).
University of Copenhagen, Denmark (PhD in lactation physiology; 2004-2010);
Aarhus University, Denmark (Visiting Scholar; 2006);
Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden (PhD course, 2005),
Georg-Speyer-Haus, Germany (PhD course; 2005)
Shiraz University (DVM; 1997-2003)
have 12 peer reviewed publications and 5 more in progress (+ 40< other publications and presentations). Here are peer reviewed publications since 2012:
1) Curry, E., Safayi, S., Meyerson, R., Roth, T.L. Reproductive trends of polar bears (Ursus maritimus) in captivity: a historical analysis. (submitted to “Ursus”)
2) Oya, H., Reddy, C. G., Wilson, S., Safayi, S., Jeffery, N. D., Viljoen, S. V., Dalm, B. D., Fredericks, D. C., Gibson-Corley, K. N., Gillies, G. T., and Howard III, M. A. Chronic impedance at the electrode-pial surface interface of a novel intradural spinal cord stimulator. (submitted to “Physiological Measurement”)
3) Tracey, A.K., Alcott, C.J., Schleining, J.A., Safayi, S., Zaback; P.C., Reinertson, E.L. 2014. The Effects of Topical Oxygen Therapy on equine distal limb dermal wound healing. The Canadian Veterinary Journal. (accepted for publication; ID#2013-0131)
4) Nazemi, S., Aalbæk, B., Kjelgaad-Hansen, M., Safayi, S., Klærke, D.A. and Knight, Ch. H., Expression of acute phase proteins and inflammatory cytokines in mouse mammary gland following Staphylococcus aureus challenge and in response to milk accumulation. J Dairy Res. 2014 Sep 17:1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
5) Safayi, S., Jeffery, N. D., Fredericks, D. C., Viljoen, S., Dalm, B. D., Reddy, C.G., Wilson, S., Gillies, G. T., and Howard III, M. A. 2014. Biomechanical performance of an ovine model of intradural spinal cord stimulation. J Med Eng Technol; 38(5): 269-273.
6) Oya, H., Safayi, S., Jeffery, N.D. Viljoen, S., Reddy, C.G., Dalm, B.D., Kanwal, J.K., Gillies, G.T. and Howard III, M.A. 2013. Soft-coupling suspension system for an intradural spinal cord stimulator: Biophysical performance characteristics. Journal of Applied Physics; 114 (16), 164701.
7) Safayi, S., and Nielsen, M. O. 2013. Intravenous supplementation of acetate, glucose or essential amino acids to an energy and protein deficient diet in early and late lactating dairy goats: effects on milk production and mammary nutrient extraction. Small Ruminant Research. 112: 162-173.
8) Safayi, S., N. Korn, A. Bertram, R. M. Akers, A. V. Capuco, S. L. Pratt, and S. Ellis. 2012. Myoepithelial cell differentiation markers in prepubertal bovine mammary gland: Effect of ovariectomy. J. Dairy Sci. 95(6):2965-2976.
9) Ellis, S., R. M. Akers, A. V. Capuco, and S. Safayi. 2012. TRIENNIAL LACTATION SYMPOSIUM: Bovine mammary epithelial cell lineages and parenchymal development. Journal of Animal Science 90(5):1666-1673.
Rcent ones, since 2012:
- Member of “Meetings” Committee, National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (since 2013)
- Elect-President of Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association (ISUPDA; having about 350 members), Iowa State University, USA (2013-2014)
- Interim Chair [and Founder], Midwest Postdoctoral Forum, USA (2013-2014)
- Chair of the “International & Diversity” Subcommittee and Member of “Plenary” and “Workshops” Subcommittees (Meetings Committee), National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (2013-2014)
- Chair, Executive Committee Board, Midwest Postdoctoral Symposium, Iowa State University, USA (2012-2013)
- Elect Vice-President / Interim President of Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association, Iowa State University, USA (2012-2013)
In addition to "DVM full scholarship (tuition for 6.5 years)", "PhD full scholarship (full tuition and salary)", a few travel awards and "best instructor of the year" or "best cultural student of the year" awards, and since 2012:
- “Emerging Leaders Academy” Scholarship, Iowa State Unviersity, USA (Covering the tuition fee for attending the academy’s one year program) (2013-2014)
- National Postdoctoral Association, USA (Travel Grant awarded for attending the National Postdcotoral Associaton’s annual meeting in St. Louis, USA.) (2014)
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (since 2013)
- Ames, IA Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience (SFN), USA (since 2012)
- Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association, Iowa State University, USA (since 2012)
- The American Dairy Science Association (ADSA), Federation of Animal Science Societies (FASS) (since 2010)
- The Alumni Association at the University of Copenhagen (Kubulus) (since 2010)
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (since 2008)
- Iran Veterinary Council (since 2004)
- The Alumni Association at Shiraz University (since 2004)
Ad hoc reviewer for:
- The Veterinary Journal (since 2014)
- Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology (since 2014)
- Livestock Science (since 2012)
- Journal of Dairy Science (since 2009)
- Small Ruminant Research (since 2008)