Key words: "Lactation Physiology", "Histology" and "Kinematics"
Have been involved in various and mostly multidisciplinary research projects since undergrad education across three continents. Currently at Iowa State University, I am involved in kinematics studies of two large projects:
1) Developing a spinal cord stimulator to control chronic backpain (ovine model); and,
2) Developing new therapies for Mucopolysaccharidosis types I and III (canine model).
In addition, I am also collaborating with other US as well as international research groups with designing their experiemtns, stereology, histology, image analysis and biostatistics.
I am currently mentoring two Vet and one pre-Vet students in our kinematics lab. In addition, I am also [remotely] mentoring four Phd Students at University of Copenhagen, Denmark, with the parts of their research projects on stereology, histology, image analysis and biostatistics.
Have been also teaching/mentoring occasionally in both undergrad and grad levels across three continents since 2001. A few of the courses that I've taught (Clemson University, University of Copenhagen and ACECR): Animal Histology, Veterinary Physiology, Experimental Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Parasitology and Medical Ethics
Couple of grad projects I've co-supervised (University of Copenhagen): "Histological study of the effect of omitting the dry period on mammary gland development during gestation and laction in dairy goats"; and, "Effect of the dry period and parity on changes in mammary cell turnover during gestation and lactation in dairy goats."
2012-Now: Postdoc, Iowa State University, USA
2013-2014: Grad College Emerging Leaders Academy, Iowa State University, USA
2010-2012: Postdoc, Clemson University, USA
2004-2010: PhD, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2009: Visiting Scholar, University of Arizona, USA
2009: PhD course, Aarhus University, Denmark
2006: PhD course, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
2006: Visiting Scholar, Aarhus University, Denmark
2005: PhD course, Georg-Speyer-House Research Institute, Germany
1997-2003: DVM, Shiraz University, Iran
have 15 peer reviewed publications and 5 more in progress (+ 40< other publications and presentations). Here are peer reviewed publications since 2012:
1) Curry, E., Safayi, S., Meyerson, R., Roth, T.L. Reproductive trends of polar bears (Ursus maritimus) in captivity: a historical analysis. (submitted to “Ursus”)
2) Oya, H., Reddy, C. G., Wilson, S., Safayi, S., Jeffery, N. D., Viljoen, S. V., Dalm, B. D., Fredericks, D. C., Gibson-Corley, K. N., Gillies, G. T., and Howard III, M. A. Chronic impedance at the electrode-pial surface interface of a novel intradural spinal cord stimulator. (submitted to “Physiological Measurement”)
3) Tracey, A.K., Alcott, C.J., Schleining, J.A., Safayi, S., Zaback; P.C., Reinertson, E.L. 2014. The Effects of Topical Oxygen Therapy on equine distal limb dermal wound healing. The Canadian Veterinary Journal. (accepted for publication; ID#2013-0131)
4) Nazemi, S., Aalbæk, B., Kjelgaad-Hansen, M., Safayi, S., Klærke, D.A. and Knight, Ch. H., Expression of acute phase proteins and inflammatory cytokines in mouse mammary gland following Staphylococcus aureus challenge and in response to milk accumulation. J Dairy Res. 2014 Sep 17:1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
5) Safayi, S., Jeffery, N. D., Fredericks, D. C., Viljoen, S., Dalm, B. D., Reddy, C.G., Wilson, S., Gillies, G. T., and Howard III, M. A. 2014. Biomechanical performance of an ovine model of intradural spinal cord stimulation. J Med Eng Technol; 38(5): 269-273.
6) Oya, H., Safayi, S., Jeffery, N.D. Viljoen, S., Reddy, C.G., Dalm, B.D., Kanwal, J.K., Gillies, G.T. and Howard III, M.A. 2013. Soft-coupling suspension system for an intradural spinal cord stimulator: Biophysical performance characteristics. Journal of Applied Physics; 114 (16), 164701.
7) Safayi, S., and Nielsen, M. O. 2013. Intravenous supplementation of acetate, glucose or essential amino acids to an energy and protein deficient diet in early and late lactating dairy goats: effects on milk production and mammary nutrient extraction. Small Ruminant Research. 112: 162-173.
8) Safayi, S., N. Korn, A. Bertram, R. M. Akers, A. V. Capuco, S. L. Pratt, and S. Ellis. 2012. Myoepithelial cell differentiation markers in prepubertal bovine mammary gland: Effect of ovariectomy. J. Dairy Sci. 95(6):2965-2976.
9) Ellis, S., R. M. Akers, A. V. Capuco, and S. Safayi. 2012. TRIENNIAL LACTATION SYMPOSIUM: Bovine mammary epithelial cell lineages and parenchymal development. Journal of Animal Science 90(5):1666-1673.
Rcent ones, since 2012:
- Member of “Meetings” Committee, National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (since 2013)
- Elect-President of Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association (ISUPDA; having about 350 members), Iowa State University, USA (2013-2014)
- Interim Chair [and Founder], Midwest Postdoctoral Forum, USA (2013-2014)
- Chair of the “International & Diversity” Subcommittee and Member of “Plenary” and “Workshops” Subcommittees (Meetings Committee), National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (2013-2014)
- Chair, Executive Committee Board, Midwest Postdoctoral Symposium, Iowa State University, USA (2012-2013)
- Elect Vice-President / Interim President of Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association, Iowa State University, USA (2012-2013)
2014: Travel award, National Postdoctoral Association, USA
2013-2014: “Emerging Leaders Academy” Scholarship (Tuition), Iowa State Unviersity, USA
2009: Travel award, The Royal Danish Academy of Science, Denmark
2009: Travel award, Veterinarian Hans Peter Christensen's memorial scholarhship, Denmark
2006-2010: Full PhD Scholarship (Tuition and Salary), University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2003: Best instructor of the year award, Academic Center for Education, Culture and Research, Iran
2000: Best cultural student award, Fars Provice, Iran
1997-2003: Full DVM scholarhship (Tuition), Shiraz University, Iran
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (since 2013)
- Ames, IA Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience (SFN), USA (since 2012)
- Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association, Iowa State University, USA (since 2012)
- The American Dairy Science Association (ADSA), Federation of Animal Science Societies (FASS) (since 2010)
- The Alumni Association at the University of Copenhagen (Kubulus) (since 2010)
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (since 2008)
- Iran Veterinary Council (since 2004)
- The Alumni Association at Shiraz University (since 2004)
Ad hoc reviewer for:
- The Veterinary Journal (since 2014)
- International Breastfeeding Journal (since 2014)
- Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology (since 2014)
- Livestock Science (since 2012)
- Journal of Dairy Science (since 2009)
- Small Ruminant Research (since 2008)