Key words: "Lactation Physiology", "Histology" and "Kinematics"
Have been involved in various and mostly multidisciplinary research projects since undergrad education across three continents. Currently at Iowa State University, I am involved in kinematics studies of two large projects:
1) Developing a spinal cord stimulator to control chronic backpain (ovine model); and,
2) Developing new therapies for Mucopolysaccharidosis types I and III (canine model).
In addition, I am also collaborating with other US as well as international research groups with designing their experiemtns, stereology, histology, image analysis and biostatistics.
I am currently mentoring two Vet and four undergrad students in our kinematics lab. In addition, I am also [remotely] mentoring two Phd Students at University of Copenhagen, Denmark, with the parts of their research projects on stereology, histology, image analysis and biostatistics.
Have been also teaching/mentoring occasionally in both undergrad and grad levels across three continents since 2001. A few of the courses that I've taught (Clemson University, University of Copenhagen and ACECR): Animal Histology, Veterinary Physiology, Experimental Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Parasitology and Medical Ethics
Couple of grad projects I've co-supervised (University of Copenhagen): "Histological study of the effect of omitting the dry period on mammary gland development during gestation and laction in dairy goats"; and, "Effect of the dry period and parity on changes in mammary cell turnover during gestation and lactation in dairy goats."
2014: “Emerging Leaders Academy”; Iowa State University, USA
2010: PhD in Animal Science – Lactation Physiology; University of Copenhagen, Denmark (World Rank in Animal Science: #12)
Sabbaticals (part of PhD education):
University of Aarhus, Denmark (2006) and University of Arizona, USA (2009)
2005: European Certificate for ¨Laboratory Animal Science¨ (Category C); University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2003: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM); Shiraz University, Iran
have 17 peer reviewed publications and a few more in progress (+ 45 other publications and presentations). Here are peer reviewed publications since 2010:
1) Safayi, S., Jeffery, N. D., Shivapour, S.K., Zamanighomi, M., Zylstra, T.J., Bratsch-Prince, J., Wilson, S., Reddy, C. G., Fredericks, D. C., Gillies, G. T., and Howard III, M. A. 2015. Kinematic analysis of the gait of adult sheep during treadmill locomotion. (submitted to Journal of Neurological Sciences)
2) Curry, E., Safayi, S., Meyerson, R., Roth, T.L. 2015. Reproductive trends of captive polar bears in North American zoos: a historical analysis. (submitted to “Journal of Zoo and Aquarium Research”)
3) Dalm, B. D., Viljoen, S. V., Dahdaleh, N. S., Reddy, C. G., Brennan, T. J., Oya, H., Wilson, S., Safayi, S., Jeffery, N. D., Gillies, G. T., and Howard III, M. A. 2014. Revisiting intradural spinal cord stimulation: an introduction to a novel intradural spinal cord stimulation device. Innovative Neurosurgery (published online ahead of print; DOI: 10.1515/ins-2014-0005)
4) Safayi, S., Jeffery, N. D., Fredericks, D. C., Viljoen, S., Dalm, B. D., Reddy, C.G., Wilson, S., Gillies, G. T., and Howard III, M. A. 2014. Biomechanical performance of an ovine model of intradural spinal cord stimulation. J Med Eng Technol. 38(5): 269–273.
5) Tracey, A.K., Alcott, C.J., Schleining, J.A., Safayi, S., Zaback; P.C., Reinertson, E.L. 2014. The Effects of Topical Oxygen Therapy on equine distal limb dermal wound healing. Can Vet J. 55(12):1146-52.
6) Nazemi, S., Aalbæk, B., Kjelgaad-Hansen, M., Safayi, S., Klærke, D.A. and Knight, Ch. H. 2014. Expression of acute phase proteins and inflammatory cytokines in mouse mammary gland following Staphylococcus aureus challenge and in response to milk accumulation. J Dairy Res. 81(04), 445-454.
7) Oya, H., Safayi, S., Jeffery, N.D. Viljoen, S., Reddy, C.G., Dalm, B.D., Kanwal, J.K., Gillies, G.T. and Howard III, M.A. 2013. Soft-coupling suspension system for an intradural spinal cord stimulator: Biophysical performance characteristics. Journal of Applied Physics; 114 (16), 164701.
8) Safayi, S., and Nielsen, M. O. 2013. Intravenous supplementation of acetate, glucose or essential amino acids to an energy and protein deficient diet in early and late lactating dairy goats: effects on milk production and mammary nutrient extraction. Small Ruminant Research. 112: 162-173.
9) Safayi, S., N. Korn, A. Bertram, R. M. Akers, A. V. Capuco, S. L. Pratt, and S. Ellis. 2012. Myoepithelial cell differentiation markers in prepubertal bovine mammary gland: Effect of ovariectomy. J. Dairy Sci. 95(6):2965-2976.
10) Ellis, S., R. M. Akers, A. V. Capuco, and S. Safayi. 2012. TRIENNIAL LACTATION SYMPOSIUM: Bovine mammary epithelial cell lineages and parenchymal development. Journal of Animal Science 90(5):1666-1673.
11) Safayi, S., P. K. Theil, V. S. Elbrønd, L. Hou, M. Engbaek, J. V. Norgaard, K. Sejrsen, and M. O. Nielsen. 2010. Mammary Remodelling in Primiparous and Multiparous Dairy Goats During Lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 93(4):1478-1490.
12) Safayi, S., P. K. Theil, L. Hou, M. Engbaek, J. V. Norgaard, K. Sejrsen, and M. O. Nielsen. 2010. Continuous Lactation Effects on Mammary Remodeling During Late Gestation and Lactation in Dairy Goats. J. Dairy Sci. 93(1):203-217.
Rcent ones, since 2012:
- Member of “Meetings” Committee, National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (since 2013)
- Elect-President of Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association (ISUPDA; having about 350 members), Iowa State University, USA (2013-2014)
- Interim Chair [and Founder], Midwest Postdoctoral Forum, USA (2013-2014)
- Chair of the “International & Diversity” Subcommittee and Member of “Plenary” and “Workshops” Subcommittees (Meetings Committee), National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (2013-2014)
- Chair, Executive Committee Board, Midwest Postdoctoral Symposium, Iowa State University, USA (2012-2013)
- Elect Vice-President / Interim President of Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association, Iowa State University, USA (2012-2013)
2014: Travel award, National Postdoctoral Association, USA
2013-2014: “Emerging Leaders Academy” Scholarship (full coverage of the tuition fee), Iowa State Unviersity, USA
2009: Travel award, The Royal Danish Academy of Science, Denmark
2009: Travel award, Veterinarian Hans Peter Christensen's memorial scholarhship, Denmark
2006-2010: Full PhD Scholarship (full coverage of the tuition fee and Salary), University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2003: Best instructor of the year award, Academic Center for Education, Culture and Research, Iran
2000: Best cultural student award, Fars Provice, Iran
1997-2003: Full academic scholarhship for 6.5 years of DVM education [immidiately after highschool graduation] (full coverage of the tuition fee), Shiraz University, Iran
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), USA (since 2013)
- Ames, IA Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience (SFN), USA (since 2012)
- Iowa State University Postdoctoral Association, Iowa State University, USA (since 2012)
- The American Dairy Science Association (ADSA), Federation of Animal Science Societies (FASS) (since 2010)
- The Alumni Association at the University of Copenhagen (Kubulus) (since 2010)
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (since 2008)
- Iran Veterinary Council (since 2004)
- The Alumni Association at Shiraz University (since 2004)
Ad hoc reviewer for:
- BMC Veterinary Research (since 2015)
- The Veterinary Journal (since 2014)
- International Breastfeeding Journal (since 2014)
- Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology (since 2014)
- Livestock Science (since 2012)
- Journal of Dairy Science (since 2009)
- Small Ruminant Research (since 2008)