Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence
Thank you for your interest in the PAVE Instructional Clinical Year Program provided by the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences located at the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Ames, Iowa
The PAVE Program is designed to fulfill the licensing requirements of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). Please note that the following jurisdictions will accept PAVE as meeting the educational component of licensure requirements: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands, Virginia.
Clinical rotations include:
Internal Medicine, Community Practice, Small Animal Surgery (orthopedics and soft tissue), Neurology, Production Medicine, Equine Medicine and Equine Surgery, Radiology, Anesthesia, Critical Care, Clinical Pathology, Public Health, Necropsy, and Clinical Microbiology, and elective rotations. Participants must agree to perform the same duties required of a senior veterinary student assigned to rotations in the ISU Veterinary Medical Center. PAVE Participants are required to participate in night and emergency duty as required. Participants will receive a written evaluation at the end of each rotation. If a poor or failing evaluation is received, the participant will need to repeat the rotation at no additional cost. If a participant receives 3 failing evaluations, they are immediately dismissed from the program. Please note that no letter grades or university credit are awarded for this program. Participants who successfully complete this training program will be awarded a certificate of completion by the Iowa State University Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences
Applicants must complete the following application requirements to be considered for this program. To obtain forms and application materials, please see contact information below.
- Applicant must submit a letter from the AAVSB/PAVE Office as proof that they are registered in the PAVE Program and have completed the required steps and have successfully completed the Qualifying Examination including dates taken and scores received. Do not apply if you have not successfully passed the QE Exam.
- Submit a completed ISU PAVE Application Form, Letter of Intent and Curriculum Vitae
- Submit a notarized copy of their diploma awarded by a college of veterinary medicine or its equivalent and a notarized copy of their transcript including all courses taken during professional training (including an English translation, if necessary).
- Applicants must be fluent in both written and spoken English. Results of the TOEFL/TSE/TWE (or IELTS) examinations must be submitted with the application, when applicable. Do not apply if you have not passed the English requirement.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, sent directly to us, by individuals who can adequately evaluate the applicant’s clinical abilities.
- You must provide evidence of legal residency within the U.S. for the duration of the program. Only U.S. citizens or those holding appropriate visas or permits will be considered. We are unable to provide support for OPT.
We review only applicants who have completed all steps and have experience working at a U.S.A. or Canadian veterinary hospital. We strongly recommend hands-on experience (either work experience or volunteering) of 20-30 hours or more per week with North American educated veterinarians for one year or more. Applicants are ranked according to their exam scores, grade point, letters of reference and experience. Applicants being considered for admittance to this program must attend an interview, at their expense, with the ECFVG-PAVE Committee for final acceptance into the program.
Applicants that do not meet the application requirements will not be considered.
There are no application fees or deadlines for our program. We accept new participants throughout the year, when space is available.
The program fee is equal to the out-of-state tuition rate of the ISU College of Veterinary Medicine (current program fee $39,000). Please call 515-294-2531 to verify the current rate. The program fee is payable in monthly increments, with the balance due prior to completion of the program. The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences reserves the right to change the PAVE program fee when deemed necessary. PAVE participants are not Iowa State University students and are not eligible for student benefits, student housing, student financial aid or loans. Selected candidates are personally responsible for all financial aspects of participation in the program (i.e. program fees, housing, parking, medical insurance, rabies vaccines, etc.). It is preferable that you have your rabies vaccine prior to starting the program. Participants are to provide their own instruments and uniforms as required by the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences as outlined in the VCS/VTH Rules Policies and Procedures Handbook. The University provides no liability insurance and accepts no liability for the actions of these participants or the death or injury to these participants. Each participant will be required to accept and sign a liability release statement.
For additional information and application forms:
ISU Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences contact:
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
1600 S. 16th St. Room 1804
Ames, IA 50011-1250