Tests and more tests

February 2019

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone had a fun-filled Valentine’s Day. I sure did! During the month of February, I was showered in midterms and lots of Valentine’s Day candy. In just these past three weeks alone, we have survived through 6 midterm exams, and counting. You would think by now that I am a master of midterm taking and that it’s not a big deal. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy these amount of exams in such a short time period, or any time period for that matter. But what I can say is that as you go through your years in vet school, there comes a point where you do whatever it takes to survive, and you learn to get through those tough test-taking moments. For me, this means trying to obtain as much information as I can on the weekends to prepare myself for the exams to come on the weekday. This also means I have little time to make myself a gourmet meal every night, so I meal prep on the weekends so I can have 5 meals laid out in my fridge for the upcoming week. Thanks to the Food Network, I’ll never have to eat a cup of Maruchan ramen noodle soup as long as I’m in vet school!

This month, I’ve also attended a couple of mini rotations. So far, I’ve been on cardiology, ophthalmology and primary care rotations. Each of these rotations were a lot of fun and I was able to see some interesting cases, such as a dog with lymphosarcoma invading into the orbit and a CT study during the ophthalmology rotation. Also, during the primary care mini rotation, I fell in love with a squirmy little ferret who presented for routine wellness exam and vaccines. These rotations are also a great opportunity to chat with the fourth years and pick their brains in terms of their experiences so far and their survival strategies.

Today, I completed another mini rotation, which was small animal medicine. A friend of mine and I were on the same mini rotation, and we were able to shadow a fourth year and his case on a dog with a gallbladder mucocele. We were able to help restrain the dog and test his blood clotting time, as well as check his blood pressure and watch a jugular catheter placement. We were definitely able to see cool ICU/emergency and animal medicine procedures that we learned about in lecture put into action. It was also a pleasant change to be interacting with real-live animals, instead of seeing cadavers or pictures of them in lab!

There are only 2.5 weeks until spring break, and I’m super ecstatic to be able to rest and catch up on my binge watching a few shows on my list. But until then, it’s time to hit the lecture notes again and study for my upcoming production medicine exam, which is in 17 hours!

Best Wishes,


"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts."- Winston Churchill