Jesse Paul Goff
- BS, Microbiology, 1977, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- MS, Veterinary Physiology, 1980, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- DVM, 1984, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- PhD, 1986, Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- 2009-Present Instructor-in-charge, BMS 336 – Veterinary Clinical Nutrition
2008-Present Instructor-in-charge, BMS 334; Veterinary Medical Students- Digestive Physiology section with laboratory
2008-Present Instructor-in-charge, VDPAM 484. Dairy production medicine
2008-Present Instructor-in-charge, VDPAM 491. Ruminant Nutrition
1992-Present Instructor-in-charge, AABP & continuing education
This laboratory is best known for its work on milk fever of dairy cattle. As a result much of our effort was on the transition dairy cow - the time from about 3 wks before calving until 3 wks after calving. This period represents the time of greatest risk of ilness for the dairy cow. Therefore we have been studying calcium and mineral homeostasis, immune suppression at the time of calving, and the interactions between nutrition and immunology and their effects on metabolic and infectious disease in transition dairy cows. Vitamin D insufficiency has been linked to increased predisposition to several forms of cancer as well as autoimmune disease. We are currently developing new forms of vitamin D that may effectively prevent/ treat colon cancer and inflammatory bowel disease. We have also been working with the problem of vitamin D deficiency in suckling and early weaned piglets. Dr. Nicholas Koszewski joined the lab in 2009 and has greatly advanced our ability to perform analysis of gene expression at the cellular and organismal level.
Dr. Goff has received several formal honors and awards during his career. Goff currently holds the Anderson Chair in Veterinary Medicine.
- USDA-ARS Early Career Scientist Award. 1991
- Dr. Goff received a grant from the National Research Initiative (NRI) for a proposal to test the effects of dietary Ca and potassium on the incidence of milk fever. The studies funded by this grant were chosen by the administrating officers of the National Research Initiative program as a “National Research Initiative Highlight.” 1993
- The NRI Program staff cited this study as exemplary of the type of good science the NRI can fund that will impact positively on American agriculture. 1997
- Goff was recipient of the American Feed Industry Association Award for “Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Dairy Cattle Nutrition Research” awarded at the 1998 American Association of Dairy Science Association meeting. 1998
- Dr. Goff was appointed to the National Research Council’s Committee on Animal Nutrition. This branch of the National Academy of Sciences oversees projects related to publication of guides on the nutrition of all animal species. It also examines issues of importance to animal agriculture including writing white papers on various subjects. Dr. Goff served on this committee for three years, 2001-2004. 2001
- Dr. Goff received the “Nutrition Professionals “ award for “Outstanding contributions in the field of practical dairy nutrition at the 2005 American Dairy Science Association meeting. 2005
- Iowa State University Student Chapter of American Veterinary medical Association Teaching Award – given by the students to the outstanding teacher in the basic sciences of the professional curriculum. 2011
- Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine Norden Teaching Award – given to the most outstanding faculty member teaching in the veterinary professional curriculum. 2011
- BMS Faculty, Dr. Jesse Goff, honored at the 47th annual conference of the American Association of Bovine Practioners with the Zoetis Distinguished Service Award. Read the full article here. 2014
- Biomedical Sciences Governance Committee
- CVM Academic Standards Committee
- ISU Academic Standards Committee
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners
- American Association of Swine Veterinarians
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS (THE LAST 5 YEARS ONLY)
- Benzaquen M, Galvão KN, Coleman AE, Santos JE, Goff JP, Risco CA. Effect of oral mineral and energy supplementation on blood mineral concentrations, energetic and inflammatory profile, and milk yield in dairy cows affected with dystocia. Vet J. 2015 May;204(2):186-91.
- Zimmerman DR, Koszewski NJ, Hoy DA, Goff JP, Horst RL. Targeted delivery of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 to colon tissue and identification of a major 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 glycoside from Solanum glaucophyllum plant leaves. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2014
- Goff JP. Calcium and magnesium disorders. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2014 Jul;30(2):359-81.
- Kimura K, Goff JP, Canning P, Wang C, Roth JA. Effect of recombinant bovine granulocyte colony-stimulating factor covalently bound to polyethylene glycol injection on neutrophil number and function in periparturient dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2014 Aug;97(8):4842-51.
- Wang Z, Wong T, Hashizume T, Dickmann LZ, Scian M, Koszewski NJ, Goff JP, Horst RL, Chaudhry AS, Schuetz EG, Thummel KE. Human UGT1A4 and UGT1A3 conjugate 25-hydroxyvitamin D3: metabolite structure, kinetics, inducibility, and interindividual variability. Endocrinology. 2014 Jun;155(6):2052-63.
- Goff JP, Liesegang A, Horst RL. Diet-induced pseudohypoparathyroidism: A hypocalcemia and milk fever risk factor. J Dairy Sci. 2014 97(3):1520-8.
- Flohr JR, Tokach MD, Dritz SS, Derouchey JM, Goodband RD, Nelssen JL, Henry SC, Tokach LM, Potter ML, Goff JP, Koszewski NJ, Horst RL, Hansen EL, Fruge ED. Effects of supplemental vitamin D3 on serum 25-hydroxycholecalciferol and growth of preweaning and nursery pigs. J Anim Sci. 2014 92(1):152-63.
- Koszewski NJ, Horst RL, Goff JP. Importance of apical membrane delivery of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 to vitamin D-responsive gene expression in the colon. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012 303(7):G870-8.
- Madson DM, Ensley SM, Gauger PC, Schwartz KJ, Stevenson GW, Cooper VL, Janke BH, Burrough ER, Goff JP, Horst RL. Rickets: case series and diagnostic review of hypovitaminosis D in swine. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2012 Nov;24(6):1137-44.
- Nonnecke BJ, Waters WR, Goff JP, Foote MR. Adaptive immunity in the colostrum-deprived calf: response to early vaccination with Mycobacterium bovis strain bacille Calmette Guerin and ovalbumin. J Dairy Sci. 2012; 95(1):221-39.
- Goff JP, Koszewski NJ, Haynes JS, Horst RL. Targeted delivery of vitamin D to the colon using β-glucuronides of vitamin D: therapeutic effects in a murine model of inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011
Reinhardt TA, Lippolis JD, McCluskey BJ, Goff JP, Horst RL. Prevalence of subclinical hypocalcemia in dairy herds. Vet J. 2010 Apr 28.