- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- 1987 Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Pathology, Virginia Tech
- 1987 Clinical Pathology Residency VMRCVM and the University of Georgia
- 1979 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University
- 1976 Bachelor of Science, Microbiology, Michigan State University
Gr. St. 585 Preparing Future Faculty Introductory Seminar
Gr. St. 586 Preparing Future Faculty Intermediate Seminar
Gr. St. 587 Preparing Future Faculty Teaching Practicum
Gr. St. 588 Preparing Future Faculty Special Topics
Dr. Holly Bender is dedicated to the improvement of higher education through scholarly research and software development by bringing together teams of experts from a wide range of disciplines to leverage talents, disciplinary skills and research based practices. She led the research group that originally designed, developed, and implemented a cognitive tool named the Diagnostic Pathfinder. The Pathfinder has been used in 25 veterinary schools in the US, Canada, Australia, South America and Europe. Now as associate director of CELT, she leads a faculty learning community that collaborated with talented developers to re-engineer and expand the Diagnostic Pathfinder into a set of open source problem-solving tools called ThinkSpace it’s sister program, OpenTBL. Both programs enable faculty in a wide range of disciplines to create complex, realistic problems for their students and support team based learning exercises, critical thinking and active learning. Faculty Learning Community members come from disciplines including dietetics, food science, veterinary medicine, animal science, human development, geology, education, physics, English, world languages, statistics, planning, journalism, graduate student and faculty development, and engineering. She partners with a faculty member to lead the ISU Team Based Learning Faculty Learning community to create and exchange research based best practices and scholarship.
- 2016 American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology (ASVCP) National Educator Award
- 2011 ISU SCAVMA Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Clinical Sciences
- 2009 William O. Reece Award for Outstanding Academic Advising
- 2008 Norden Distinguished Teacher Award- Iowa State University CVM
- 2007 Iowa State University Sesquicentennial Hubbard Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2007 ISU SCAVMA Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Clinical Sciences
- 2004 National Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award - Outstanding Veterinary Medical Educator of the Year
- 2004 National SAVMA Teaching Excellence Award
- 2004 Norden Distinguished Teacher Award- Iowa State University CVM
- 2004 VEISHEA Faculty/Staff Member of the Year-ISU CVM
- 2003 ISU SCAVMA Award for Outstanding Teaching in the Basic Sciences
- 2002 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 2004
- 2002 XCaliber Award for Excellence in Teaching with Technology
- 2002 Clifton Garvin Fellowship Award for Research Excellence
- 2001 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 2003
- 2001 W.E. Wine Award for Teaching Excellence at Virginia Tech
- 2000 VMRCVM Teaching Excellence Award
- 2000 Virginia Tech Certificate of Teaching Excellence
- 1999 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 2001
- 1997 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1999
- 1996 Merck Creative Teaching Award
- 1993 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1995
- 1992 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1994
- 1991 Merck Creative Teaching Award
- 1991 Norden Distinguished Teacher Award VMRCVM
- 1988 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1991
- 1988 VMRCVM Teaching Excellence Award
- 1985 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1988
- 1984 Young Investigator Award, American Diabetes Association
- 1983 VMRCVM Teacher of the Year Award, Class of 1986
- 2016 VeterinarianEdu.org's List of the Top 15 Most Influential Veterinarian/professors
- 2010 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2010 Graduation
- Featured Speaker for Senior Banquet, Class of 2010
- 2009 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2009 Graduation
- 2007 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2007 Graduation
- 2006 Fellowship, Wakonse Conference on College Teaching, Camp Miniwanca, MI
- 2006 “Hooder” for ISU CVM Class of 2006 Graduation
- 2005 Senate Resolution 29-recognition by the State of Iowa General Assembly for Teaching Excellence
- 2005 “Hooder” for ISU CVM Class of 2005 Graduation
- 2004 Marshal for ISU CVM Class of 2004 Graduation
- 2001 Induction into the Academy of Teaching Excellence Virginia Tech
Associate Director, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) 2011-present
Administrative leader of the ISU Team Based Learning Faculty Learning Community with faculty co-leader Lisa Orgler 2010-2015, Meghan Gillette 2015-2017 and Monica Lamm 2018- present
Faculty Leader of the ThinkSpace/OpenTBL Faculty Learning Community 2011-present
Member of the National Leadership team for the Center for Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL) 2012-2016
Co-Chair (with Dr. Elena Cotos) of the Taskforce to establish the ISU Center for Communication Excellence 2012
- American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology (ASVCP) 1982-present
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists (ACVP) 1995-present
- American Veterinary Medical Society (AVMA) 1979-present
- Phi Zeta Veterinary Honor Society 1979-present, President of Chi chapter 1988-91
Dorneich, M.C., Bickelhaupt, S., Dorius, C., Artz, G., Bender, H., Bestler, L., Caissie, B., Gahn, S., Jacobs, K., Lamm, M.H., Orgler, L., Rongerude, J., Smiley-Oyen, A., & Stone, R.T. (2015). "Measuring the Effectiveness of Team-Based Learning Outcomes in a Human Factors Course," Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting. Los Angeles, CA, 26-30 October.
Dzikamunhenga RS, Wilberts B, Yaeger M, Burrough E, Hostetter J, Bender HS, Larson W, and R. Griffith RW (2013) Safety Evaluation of Lasalocid Use in Chinese Ring-Necked Pheasants (Phasianus colchicus). Avian Diseases: June 2013, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 188-191.
Bender HS, Danielson, JA. A Novel Educational Tool for Teaching Diagnostic Reasoning and Laboratory Data Interpretation to Veterinary (and Medical) Students. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine. 2011 Mar; 31(1): 201-215.
Sponseller BA, Strait E, Jergens A, Trujillo J, Harmon K, Koster L, Jenkins-Moore M, Killian M, Swenson S, Bender HS, Waller K, Miles K, Pearce T, Yoon KJ, and Nara P. Influenza A pandemic (H1N1) 2009 virus infection in domestic cat. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010 Mar; 16(3):534-7.
Danielson, JA, Mills, EM, Vermeer, PJ, and Bender, HS (2008). The Diagnostic Pathfinder: Ten years of using technology to teach diagnostic problem solving In F. Columbus (Ed.), Educational Technology Research Advances: Nova Science Publishers
Danielson JA, Fales-Williams AJ, Sorden SD, Myers RK, Bender HS, Mills EM. Peer Assessment of a Final-Year Capstone Experience for Formative Evaluation of a Pathology Curriculum. J Vet Med Educ, September 2008; 35: 466 - 474.
Danielson J.A., Mills, E.M, Vermeer, P.J., Preast, V.A., Young, K.M., Christopher, M.M., George, J.W., Wood, D.R. and Bender, H.S. Characteristics of a Cognitive Tool that Helps Students Learn Diagnostic Problem Solving. Educational Technology Research and Development 55, 499-520, 2007.
A Fales-Williams, JA Danielson, R Myers, S Sorden, HS Bender. The Case Correlation Assignment: Connecting Antemortem and Postmortem Data in the Senior Year at Iowa State University. J Vet Med Educ, Spring 2007; 34: 183 - 193.
Bender, H.S., Young, K. M., Danielson, J. A., Mills, E.M., Vermeer, P.J., Development and Implementation of the Diagnostic Pathfinder, A Mind Tool Used to Teach Clinical Pathology. Conference Proceedings of the Association of American Medical Colleges Central Group on Educational Affairs. University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin, April 8, 2005.
Danielson JA, Bender HS, Mills EM, Vermeer PJ, Preast VA: Helping Learners Gain Diagnostic Problem Solving Skills: Specific Aspects of the Diagnostic Pathfinder Software Tied to Learning Outcomes. Association for Educational Communications and Technology, 2004.
HS Bender, KM Young, JW George, MM Christopher, JA Danielson, PJ Vermeer, EM Mills, RD Wood, PD Pion, VA Preast, CB Andreasen. Implementation of the Diagnostic Pathfinder, an Internet-Based Tool to Teach Clinical Pathology in Diverse Educational Settings. Conference Proceedings of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists and the American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology 346-359, 2003.
Bender HS, Lockee BB, Danielson JA, Mills EM, Boon GD, Burton JK, Vermeer PJ, Zimmerman KL, Hilmer KM: Mechanism-based diagnostic reasoning: thoughts on teaching introductory clinical pathology. Vet Clin Pathol 29: 77-83, 2000
Zimmerman KL, Bender HS, Boon GD, Prater MR, Thorn CE, Prater D, Robertson JL, Saunders GK, Sponenberg DP, Inzana KD, Lanz OI, Wright E: A comparison of the cytologic and histologic features of meningiomas in four dogs. Vet Clin Pathol 29: 29-34, 2000