- PhD, Biomedical Sciences (Physiology), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA. Research: Calcium Currents in Somatic Muscle Cells of the nematode Ascaris suum
- MVSs, Pharamacology and Toxicology, Veterinary College, JNKVV,Jabalpur, India Research: Role of Inflammatory Mediators in the Anti- inflammatory Activity of Vitex negundo and Withania somnifera.
- DVM, Veterinary College, JNKVV, Jabalpur, India.
- 2003-2008 Instructor, BMS 333, Biomedical Sciences I
2003-Present Instructor, BMS 334, Biomedical Sciences II
2003 Teaching Assistant, General Physiology/Pharmacology
Calcium currents in swine GI nematode Ascaris suum somatic muscle cells utilizing electrophysiology (current clamp, patch clamp and voltage clamp) and pharmacological characterization. I have also, studied the role of TRPM2 channels in stroke and cerebral ischemia in mouse cortical and hippocampal neurons, utilizing electrophysiology techniques and also different neuronal cell culture models.
My position as a Staff Scientist at Oregon National Primate Research Center was aimed at investigating the mechanisms affecting energy balance and reproduction taking lactation as model. Our lab was also the resource for obesity collaborative research for ONPRC and I was also involved in fat metabolism studies. I lead the electrophysiology core and was independently responsible for the planning, performance and interpretation of electrophysiology experiments.
Presently, I am investigating the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in filarial nematode, Brugia malayi and heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis). Current project involves identification and pharmacological characterization of cholinergic receptors and their expression in Xenopus oocytes to elucidate their structure.
- Student travel award for presentation at AAVP annual conference, 2007 & 2008.
- American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists.
- Society for Neuroscience.
- World Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology.
- Member, Indian Society of Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology.
- Secher, A., Jelsing, J., Baquero, A.F., Hecksher-Sørensen, Cowley, M.A., Dalbøge, L.S., Hansen, G., Grove, K.L., Pyke, C., Raun, K., Schäffer, L., Tang-Christensen, M., Verma, S., Witgen, B.M., Vrang, N., and Knudsen, L.B. (2014). The GLP-1 receptor agonist liraglutide enters the brain and lowers body weight through CART, NPY and AgRP. Published 9th September 2014, Journal of Clinical Investigation. doi: 10.1172/JCI75276.
- Verma S., Kirgiti M., Millar R.P., Grove K.L., and Smith M.A. (2014). Endogenous kisspeptin tone is a critical excitatory component of spontaneous GnRH activity and the GnRH response to other neuropeptides. Neuroendocrinology Vol. 99, No. 3-4, 2014. PMID: 25011649, doi: 10.1159/000365419
- Martin, R.J., Puttachary, S., Buxton, S.K., Verma, S., and Robertson, A.P. (2014). The Conqueror Worm: Recent advances with cholinergic anthelmintics excite research for better therapeutic drugs. Journal of Helminthology. May 29:1-11.
- Fairbanks, S. L., Vest, R., Verma, S., Traystman, R. J., Herson, P. S (2013). Sex Stratified Neuronal Cultures to Study Ischemic Cell Death Pathways. J. Vis. Exp. (82), e50758. Link
- Lee, S.J., Kirigiti, M., Verma, S., Simonds, S.E., Lindsley, S.R., Loche, A., Smith, M.A., Cowley, M.A., and Grove, K.L. (2013). Leptin stimulates NPY and CART co-expressing neuronal activity in the dorsomedial hypothalamus in diet-induced obese mice. Journal Of Neuroscience 33 (38), 15306-17. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0837-13.2013
- True, C., Verma, S., Grove, K.L., and Smith, M.A. (2013). Cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript is a potent stimulator of GnRH and Kisspeptin cells and may contribute to negative energy balance-induced reproductive inhibition in females. Endocrinology. 2013. doi: 10.1210/en.2013-1156.
- Verma, S., Quillinan, N., Yang, Y-F., Nakayama, S., Cheng, J., Kelley, M.H., and Herson, P.S. (2012). TRPM2 channel activation following in vitro ischemia contributes to male hippocampal cell death. Neurosci Lett. 2012 Oct 2. pii: S0304-3940(12)01290-6. Link
- Jia, J., Verma, S., Nakayama, S., Quillinan, N., Grafe, M.R., Hurn, P.D., and Herson, P.S. (2011). Sex differences in neuroprotection provided by inhibition of TRPM2 channels following experimental stroke. J Cereb. Blood Flow & Metab. doi:10.1038/jcbfm.2011.77
- Verma, S., Robertson, A.P., and Martin, R.J. (2009). Effects of SDPNLRF-amide (PF1) on voltage-activated currents in Ascaris suum muscle. Int J Parasitol 39 (3): 315-326. Link
- Trailovic, S.M.*, Verma, S.*, Clark, C.L, Robertson, A.P., and Martin R.J. (* Joint first authors) (2008). Effects of the muscarinic agonist, 5-methylfurmethiodide, on contraction and electrophysiology of Ascaris suum muscle. Int J Parasitol. 38(8-9):945-57. Link
- Verma, S., Martin, R.J., and Robertson, A.P. (2007). The Neuropeptide KHEYLRF-NH2 (AF2), increase voltage-activated calcium currents in Ascaris suum muscle. Br J Pharmacol. 151(6): 888–899. . doi: 10.1038/sj.bjp.0707296.
- Martin, R.J., Verma, S., Levandoski, M., Clark, C.L., Qian, H., Stewart, M., and Robertson, A.P. (2005). Drug resistance and neurotransmitter receptors of nematodes: recent studies on the mode of action of levamisole. Parasitology 131 Suppl: S71-84. doi:10.1017/S0031182005008668