How to Apply
- Application Information
- VMPM Admission Criteria
- Deadlines and Timeline
- Submitting Your Application
- Testing Contacts
- Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships
- Helpful Links
Students who wish to pursue graduate education leading to an MS or PhD must complete the process of admission as specified by BOTH the Graduate College at Iowa State University and the Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Preventive Medicine (VMPM).
- Applicants must be graduates of an accredited institution and should rank in the top quartile of their class.
- Transcript records should reveal a strong background in biological sciences; preferably including biochemistry, biology, calculus, chemistry, genetics, immunology, microbiology, physics and physiology.
- The MS degree is not a prerequisite for the PhD program.
- To pursue the MS degree in Veterinary Preventive Medicine or PhD in microbiology with a Preventive Medicine Emphasis, applicants must have a DVM or an equivalent degree.
- The Dept. requires applicants to complete the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. An advanced test in biology is strongly recommended. [The dept. does not set a minimum score; accepted students score in the upper 50th percentile]
- TOEFL scores must accompany your admission application if your native language is not English, or if your bachelor's degree was earned at a university where the language of instruction was not English. A total TOEFL score of 550 is the minimum required by VMPM.
- A statement of purpose must be included in application materials. This is a one or two page summary or your career goals and research interests.
All application materials must be received by February 1 for those requesting admission and financial aid for Fall Semester.
Send the following to ISU Graduate Admissions:
Graduate Admissions Office 100 Alumni Hall Iowa State University Ames, Iowa, 50011
- Complete the electronic Graduate College Application.
- Official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate grades are required as part of the ISU application. If you have attended more than one institution, transcripts from each institution must be sent to ISU.
- ISIS forms for International students are to be returned as part of the ISU Grad. College application.
- Request letters of recommendation from three individuals familiar with your qualifications and scientific potential.
- When TOEFL tests apply, send a photocopy of your TOEFL score to the VMPM office.
- Include in your departmental application a statement of purpose (usually a one or two page summary of your educational and career goals and research interests)
- Also, include a copy of your personal resume or CV. Be sure we have the current address and phone numbers for contacting you.
GRE Toll-free number:
GRE Web site:
Assistantships are funded through research grants of the major professor, making it necessary to match applicants with faculty before acceptance into our graduate program.
Most assistantship and fellowship decisions are made by mid-April. To have the best chance of qualifying for financial support, your application (including transcripts and letters of recommendation) must be receivedby February 1 for admission to the Fall Semester.