Submission guidelines for Subpart E hatcheries - NPIP US Salmonella monitored status
Please refer to NPIP CFR 145.53 (f) US Salmonella monitored program, subpart E for further clarification.
For compliance, a minimum of FIVE environmental samples (e.g. chick papers, hatching trays, and chick transfer devices) from the hatchery must be collected and tested at least every 30 days at an authorized laboratory.
Check appropriate sample types, and check “Salmonella culture (all serotypes)” under requested test.
Please indicate under comments that this is for the NPIPUS Salmonella monitored program so the lab and Official State Agency (Iowa Poultry Association) can correctly identify its purpose for submission.
Please clearly indicate sample type (examples of samples below):
1. Chick papers (up to 5 swabs can be pooled in one whirl pak)
Alternatively, you can send in chick papers themselves, but the laboratory WILL NOT pool swabs if they are submitted individually.
2. Environmental swabs from incubators, transfer baskets, belts, etc.
3. Dead in shell embryos – send in whirl pak
4. Environmental booties soaked in evaporative milk, walk around hatchery and submit booties with additional milk in whirl pak
5. Hatchery debris (“Fluff” samples) – collect samples in whirl pak
6. 15 cull chicks – can send in plastic bag for sampling by our lab staff
7. Swab inside surface of sexing cans after a shift
Please place all samples plus submission form in a box with ice paks and submit to our laboratory within 48 hours of collection. Please aim to send samples at the beginning of week, as it will take 48 hours – 1 week for results.
If you require further guidance as far as swabbing or sampling, please contact Dr. Yuko Sato at 515-294-0710 or email email@example.com.
Any questions regarding costs, forms, or submission, please contact Dr. Katie Woodard (client outreach) or Dr. Eric Burrough (bacteriology lab).