We’re the First
Iowa State University established the first public veterinary college in the nation in 1879.
We’re Also One of the Biggest
- DVM Students: 625 (2nd among 30 U.S. veterinary colleges)
- Graduate Students: 160
- Living Alumni: 6,739 (2nd largest alumni base in the country)
- Faculty: 176 with 74 board-certified specialists
- Master’s including our popular 1-year, non-thesis professional master’s program in biomedical sciences
We See Patients
Large Animal Patients: 4,617
Small Animal Patients: 14,949
We’re All Accredited
- College of Veterinary Medicine – American Veterinary Medical Association
- Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center – American Animal Hospital Association
- Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory – American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is Iowa’s only full-service, fully accredited veterinary laboratory. The VDL processes 85,000 cases and performs more than 1.25 million tests annually, more than any other veterinary diagnostic lab in the country.
We’re #1 Again
Research plays a significant in the College of Veterinary Medicine. No other veterinary college receives more USDA funding than we do. Plus, we’re in the top 1/3 in funding from the NIH.
Our researchers play key roles in efforts to control infectious diseases, developing vaccines, developing new diagnostic tools and delivery methods to improve food safety and security, and controlling and eradicating animal diseases.
Students Conduct Research as Well
Last summer, more than 15% of our student body had a research experience, including our popular Summer Scholars program that pairs students with faculty researchers.
One of a Kind x2
The Center for Food Security and Public Health is an international resource for information on animal and zoonotic diseases and emergency responses while our Swine Medicine Education Center is the country’s only national center devoted to swine education.
Practice Ready, Day One
From day one you will receive hands-on training that will prepare you for your veterinary career.