Results are available the same day for samples received before 12pm (noon) on Regular Business Days.
Requests for emergency rabies testing over the holidays must be communicated to the after hours emergency service by calling 515-290-1969 to get permission for testing and to inform us of expected arrival of the specimen by mail, UPS or delivery.
Submissions for Rabies Examination
Please use the VDL Rabies Examination Submission Form when submitting samples for rabies virus testing. Provide a complete history and indicate clearly if human exposure is involved. The absence of a complete history may delay the rabies examination until the laboratory can compile and verify the necessary information.
Information to be provided includes:
- Name of submitting veterinarian or physician.
- The species of animal submitted and any pertinent description.
- The name of the person making the request or the name of the person exposed.
- Human exposure: please indicate clearly if human exposure is involved, the date of exposure and route of exposure.
The entire euthanized animal, chilled (not frozen), should be delivered by private carrier. Alternatively, submit the intact head, properly sealed to prevent leakage, and identified as a rabies suspect.
To safely prepare a rabies head:
- Remove the head by disarticulation of the occipito-atlantal joint. Gloves, face, and eye protection are recommended for this procedure.
- Refrigerate and package in a leak-proof container with refrigerant packs.
- Deliver by private or commercial carrier with the package identified as "Rabies Suspect".
- Rabies suspects should be euthanized prior to delivery to the VDL, only in exceptional cases and with prior notice should a live animal be submitted.
Note: A complete cross-section (see the photo below) of both the cerebellum and the brainstem submitted as fresh, refrigerated tissue are required for valid rabies testing per the CDC guidelines.
Rabies Test Procedures
- Results are available the same day if received before 12pm. Samples received after noon may be tested on the next business day.
- After-hours submissions to the ISU Vet Diagnostic Lab can now be placed directly in a refrigerator located inside the VDL submission door foyer. Click here for complete instructions.
- Emergency and weekend rabies test service for animals that have potentially exposed humans is provided by the State Hygienic Laboratory (800-421-4692) in Iowa City. The SHL is a state-codified lab for rabies testing and provides 7 days/week, 24 hours/day service for rabies testing at no charge. For the State Hygienic Lab Rabies submission form and more specific info, see their website online.
- Rabies results will always be reported the same day tested. Please note samples MAY NOTE ALWAYS be tested the same day they arrive.
- Samples received before 12pm: results are available the same day by 5pm. They will be sent to the submittor via email, fax or phone per the submission form request.
- Samples received after 12pm: may be tested on the next business day.
- In all cases, a final report will be provided to the submitter as specified on the submission form.
- Inconclusive rabies results: results are reported “inconclusive” when as per CDC guidelines any of the two parts submitted are incomplete or missing and the Rabies result is Negative.
- Unsuitable rabies results: cases are reported as "unsuitable" when autolysis is evident and the FA test result is negative.