ATTENTION: USPS updated their STAMPED MAIL policy on October 1, 2019. Any packages >10oz and >1/2in. thickness cannot be mailed with regular stamps. Postage Meters, PC Postage, & mailing from the post office is OK. All others will be returned to sender as NOT DELIVERABLE.
- Fill out the Department of Veterinary Pathology Histopathology Submission form and submit it with the specimen
- Place the biopsy specimen in a sealed wide-mouthed container with 10% neutral buffered formalin at 10-20 times the bulk of the tissue (ensure adequate fixation before shipping)
- Tighten the lid on the container and secure by wrapping with parafilm (no tape)
- Attach the formalin sticker to the container and label with the clinic, owner's name, animal's name and specimen type.
- Place the container in a plastic bag with absorbent material (e.g. paper towels) and ship in a sturdy box by the carrier of your choice to:
Department of Veterinary Pathology
2703 Veterinary Medicine
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1250
- Information regarding special winter shipping instructions.
- Procedure for using cucumber slices to orientate small biopsy.