Education & Certifications
DVM, MS, Ph.D.
VDPAM 488 - Clinical Microbiology Rotation – Instructor in charge
VDPAM 562X - Applied Diagnostic Technologies
Research Focus & Interests
Bacteriological, molecular and immunological methods to advance diagnosis and immunopathogenesis of bacterial diseases.
Honors & Awards
- Intellectual property (contributor): University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine
- St. Paul, Minnesota – 20100060 - Haemophilus parasuis polypeptides and methods of use
- Travel award, 2013, Veterinary Medicine Graduate Student Conference Travel Award.
- J. Lindsay Oaks Bacteriology Award (Best Oral presentation), 2011, 54th Annual Conference of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD).
- Travel award, 2011, American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD) Foundation.
- University Innovations, 2011, University of Minnesota.
- “Nubia Macedo et al., Development and validation of an ELISA tests to detect antibodies against Haemophilus parasuis” abstract was chosen for oral presentation at the main conference, and the poster was selected for display at the complimentary opening reception of the 2010 Leman Swine Conference in recognition of outstanding work by the Allen D. Leman Science in Practice awardees.
Committee: VDPAM Research and Graduate Studies
Member of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV)
Member of the American Association of Microbiologists (ASM)
Member of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD)
- Role of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) prophage in spreading antibiotic resistance in a porcine‐derived environment. M Wang, Z Zeng, F Jiang, Y Zheng, H Shen, N Macedo, Y Sun, O Sahin, ...Environmental Microbiology, 2020.
- Cases of high mortality in cull sows and feeder pigs associated with Streptococcus equi ssp. zooepidemicus septicemia. EB Panchan Sitthicharoenchai, Rachel Derscheid, Kent Schwartz, Nubia Macedo ...Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 2020.
- Genetic characterization of Streptococcus equi subspecies zooepidemicus associated with high swine mortality in the United States. Xuhua Chen, Nubia Macedo, Panchan Sitthicharoenchai, Orhan Sahin, Eric Burrough, Maria Clavijo, Rachel Derscheid, Kent Schwartz, Kristina Lantz... Transboud Emerg Dis. 00:1-12. 2020.
- Detection and cellular tropism of porcine astrovirus type 3 on breeding farms. G Rawal, F Matias Ferreyra, N R Macedo, L K Bradner, K M Harmon, ...Viruses 11 (11), 105, 2019.
- Genetic characterization of Streptococcus equi subspecies zooepidemicus associated with high swine mortality in United States. GL Xuhua Chen, Nubia Macedo, Panchan Sitthicharoenchai, Orhan Sahin, Eric ...bioRixv. 2019.
- Effect of enrofloxacin on Haemophilus parasuis infection, disease and immune response. N Macedo, MCJ Cheeran, A Rovira, A Holtcamp, M Torremorell. Veterinary microbiology 199, 91-99, 2017
- Haemophilus parasuis: infection, immunity and Enrofloxacin. N Macedo, A Rovira, M Torremorell. Veterinary research 46 (1), 1-6 31 2017.
- Immune response to oligopeptide permease A (OppA) protein in pigs naturally and experimentally infected with Haemophilus parasuis. N Macedo, S Oliveira, M Torremorell, A Rovira. Research in veterinary science 107, 62-67, 2016.
- Effect of enrofloxacin in the carrier stage of Haemophilus parasuis in naturally colonized pigs. N Macedo, A Rovira, S Oliveira, A Holtcamp, M Torremorell. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 78 (1), 17-22. 2014.