Patrick J Gorden
DVM, PhD, D-ABVP-Dairy, D-ACVCP
Education & Certifications
- Diplomate - ACVCP (2018)
- PhD, Iowa State University (2017)
- Diplomate - ABVP-Certified in Dairy Practice (2004)
- DVM, Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine (1993)
- VDPAM 402 - Advanced Dairy Production Informatics
- VDPAM 476 - Food Animal and Camelid Field Services
- VDPAM 484 - Dairy Production Medicine
- VDPAM 485 - Applied Dairy Production Medicine Preceptorship
- VDPAM 491 - Advanced Ruminant Nutrition
VDPAM 494 - Advanced Dairy Production Medicine
Research Focus & Interests
- Milk quality, mastitis control, drug residue prevention in milk and meat
- Director – Food Supply Veterinary Medicine – VDPAM
- President-Elect - American Association of Bovine Practitioners
- National Conference of Interstate Milk Shipments (NCIMS), Executive Committee, Appendix N Modification Sub-committee
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
- Diplomate, American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, Certified in Dairy Practice
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners (AABP)
- American Dairy Science Association (ADSA)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- National Mastitis Council (NMC)
- Warner, R, JA Ydstie, LW Wulf, R Gehring, JF Coetzee, JP Mochel, and PJ Gorden. 2020. Comparative pharmacokinetics of meloxicam between healthy post-partum versus mid-lactation dairy cattle. Front Vet Sci, DOI: 10.3389/fvets.2020.00548.
- Rowe, SM, SM Godden, DV Nydam, PJ Gorden, A Lago, AK Vasquez, E Royster, J Timmerman, and MJ Thomas. 2020. Randomized controlled trial investigating the effect of two selective dry cow therapy protocols on udder health and performance in the subsequent lactation. J Dairy Sci, 103:6493-6503, DOI: 10.3168/jds.2019-17961.
- Rowe, SM, SM Godden, DV Nydam, PJ Gorden, A Lago, AK Vasquez, E Royster, J Timmerman, and MJ Thomas. 2020. Evaluation of rapid culture, a predictive algorithm, esterase somatic cell count and lactate dehydrogenase to detect intramammary infection in quarters of dairy cows at dry-off. Prev Vet Med, 104982, DOI: 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2020.104982.
- Rowe, SM, SM Godden, DV Nydam, PJ Gorden, A Lago, AK Vasquez, E Royster, J Timmerman, and MJ Thomas. 2020. Randomized controlled non-inferiority trial investigating the effect of two selective dry cow therapy protocols on antibiotic use and udder health: quarter-level outcomes. J Dairy Sci, 103(7):6473-6492, DOI: 10.3168/jds.2019-17728.
- Eder, JM, PJ Gorden, JD Lippolis, TA Reinhardt, and RE Sacco. 2020. Lactation stage impacts the glycolytic function of bovine CD4+ T cells during ex vivo activation. Sci Rep, Sci Rep, 10:4045. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-60691-2.
- Gorden, PJ, MD Kleinhenz, R Warner, PK Sidhu, and JF Coetzee. 2019. Depletion of flunixin milk residues following transdermal administration to lactating Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci, 102:11465-11469, DOI: 10.3168/jds.2019-16639.
- Kleinhenz, MD, PJ Gorden, JS Smith, J Schleining, K Kleinhenz, J Juarez, D Rea, and JF Coetzee. 2019. Effects of transdermal flunixin meglumine on experimentally induced lameness in adult dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci, 102:6418-6430, DOI: 10.3168/jds.2018-15091.
- Lin, Z, C He, DR Magstadt, VL Cooper, MD Kleinhenz, JS Smith, PJ Gorden, LW Wulf, and JF Coetzee. 2019. Tissue residue depletion and estimation of extralabel meat withdrawal intervals for tulathromycin in calves after pneumatic dart administration. J Anim Sci. 97(9):3714-3726, DOI: 10.1093/jas/skz231.
- Kleinhenz, MD, JA Ydstie, and PJ Gorden. 2019. Case report: Management of Klebsiella spp mastitis on a dairy farm. Bov Pract, 53:19-26.
- Jenkins, SJN, E Okello, PV Rossitto, TW Lehenbauer, J Champagne, MCT Penedo, AG Arruda, S Godden, P Rapnicki, PJ Gorden, LL Timms, and SS Aly. 2019. Molecular epidemiology of coagulase-negative Staphylococcus species isolated at different lactation stages from dairy cattle in the United States. PeerJ, 7:e6749, DOI: 10.7717/peerj.6749.