DATE: September 13, 2019
TO: The CVM Research Advisory Committee for 2019-20 Members: Drs. Paul Plummer (Chair), Matt Brewer (Co-Chair), Tim Day, Chad Johannes, Jinoh Kim, Daniel Linhares, Mark Lyte, Alan Robertson, Tomislav Jelesijevic, David Verhoeven, JQ Zhang; Ex- officio: Drs. Qijing Zhang, Cathy Miller, Ms. Amy Brucker
FROM: Qijing Zhang, Associate Dean for Research & Graduate Studies Dan Grooms, Dr. Stephen G. Juelsgaard Dean of Veterinary Medicine
RE: Committee Charge
From the CVM Governance Document 126.96.36.199.: The committee shall evaluate and rank research proposals submitted by faculty for USDA formula funds, Iowa Livestock Health Advisory Council and healthy livestock awards. The committee shall assist in development of programs to promote faculty preparation of research proposals for submission to university, federal, government, and industry sources. In addition, the RAC advises the associate dean for research regarding research policy and procedures.
1. Review, rank, and provide funding recommendations for intramural research program requests, including, but not limited to: a. Iowa Livestock Health Advisory Council (ILHAC) Funds b. USDA Formula Fund Grant c. Dean's Award for Clinical-Basic Science Collaboration d. CVM Seed Grant Funds
2. Review and provide input to the Dean on selection of research excellence awards for faculty and fellowship awards for graduate students.
3. Monitor and assist with the timely presentation of research progress reports to the Iowa Livestock Health Advisory Council, the university, and other committees and agencies.
4. Assist with the development of faculty research programs within the departments and units of the college and between faculty from our college and other colleges and units of the university, federal government, and industry.
5. Motivate and assist faculty to become skilled in preparation of successful research proposals with federal, state, regional and university research funding competitions
6. Address the issues or concerns brought to the committee by the Dean or Associate Dean for Research.
7. Promote and facilitate collaboration between the ISU CVM and NADC/NVSL as well as other institutions
8. Work to better connect CVM Faculty to the Office of Economic Development and Industry Relations, and in particular the ISU Startup Factory
9. Provide an annual report at a Faculty Meeting and deliver an Annual Report to the Dean by June 30.