David E Verhoeven
Education & Certifications
- BS, Animal Science, 1997, UC Davis
- PhD, Comparative Pathology, 2006, UC Davis
Present Instructor-in-charge, VMPM 520, Immunology lectures to graduate and veterinary students
Present Instructor-in-charge, Micro 604, Research in progress seminar
Present Instructor-in-charge, Honors 290, Undergraduate instruction in biotechnology (Freshmen)
Present Instructor-in-charge, BMS 490, Undergraduate instruction in biotechnology
Present Instructor-in-charge, BIO 499, Undergraduate research
Research Focus & Interests
Defining immune responses to mucosal pathogens, respiratory bacterial vaccines, viral/bacterial co-infections of the lungs, viral induced immunopathology (influenza and RSV), pediatric immunology, CD4 T-cell responses to respiratory pathogens and HIV.
- Vaccines for antigenic variable viruses symposium---Scientific committee Vaccines for antigenic variable viruses symposium---Organizational Committee
- Vaccines for antigenic variable viruses symposium---Organizational Committee
- American Association of Immunologists (Full member) AAAS
- Society of Leukocyte Biology
- Premenko-Lanier M, Rota PA, Rhodes G, Verhoeven D, Barouch D, Lerche NW, Letvin NL, Bellini WJ, McChesney MB. DNA vaccination of infants in the presence of maternal antibody: a measles model in the primate. Virology. 2003. 307(1):67-75.
- George MD, Verhoeven D, McBride Z, Dandekar S. Gene expression profiling of gut mucosa and mesenteric lymph nodes in simian immunodeficiency virus-infected macaques with divergent disease course. J Med Primatol. 2006. 35(4-5):261-9.
- Guadalupe M, Sankaran S, George MD, Reay E, Verhoeven D, Shakelett S, Wegeopin J, Prindville T, Dandekar S. Viral suppression and immune restoration in the gastrointestinal mucosa of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected patients initiating therapy during primary or chronic infection. J Virol. 2006. 80(16):8236-47.
- Verhoeven, D, Sankaran S, Dandekar S. et al. Simian Immunodeficiency Virus Infection Induces Severe Loss of Intestinal Central Memory T-cells Which Impairs CD4+ T-cell Restoration During Antiretroviral Therapy. Journal of Medical Primatology 2007. 36 (4-5):219-27. George MD. Verhoeven D, Dandekar S. Morphological and molecular characterization of oropharyngeal pathologies in chronic SIV infection. Journal of Medical Primatology. 2007 36(4-5):315-316.
- Verhoeven, D, Sankaran S, Silvey M, Dandekar S. Early Antiretroviral Therapy During SIV Infection Fails to Protect CD4+ T-cells But Drives Enhanced Restoration Through Central Memory. Journal of Virology 2008. 82 (8): 4016-4027
- Raffatellu M, Santos RL, Verhoeven, D, Wilson RP, Winter SE, Dandekar S, Baumler AJ. Invasion and systemic dissemination of non-typhoidal Salmonella in SIV-infected rhesus macaques are associated with suppression of Th17 response and impairment of the intestinal epithelial barrier. Nature Medicine
- Verhoeven, D., Teijaro JR, Farber Dl. Heterogeneous memory T cells in anti-viral immunity and immunopathology. Viral Immunology 2008. 21(2): 99-114.
- George MD, Verhoeven D., Sankaran S, Dang AT, Dandekar S. Loss of growth factor receptor signaling in the oral mucosa during primary SIV infection may enhance apoptosis and promote pathogenesis. J of Med Primatology 2008. 32 (s2): 55-61.
- George MD, Verhoeven D, Reay E, Dandekar S. Heightened cytotoxic responses and impaired biogenesis contribute to early pathogenesis of the oral mucosa in SIV infected rhesus macaques. Clinical Vaccine and Immunology. 2010. Clinical Vaccines and Immunology.
- Teijaro, JR. Njau, MP.. Verhoeven, D. Chandran, S. Nadler, S. Hasday, J. Perez, D. Farber, DL. Uncoupling memory T cells mediated protection and immunopathology during influenza infection by inhibiting CD28 costimulation. Journal of Immunology 2009. June; 50(6) 2888
- Verhoeven D., Teijaro JR, Farber DL. Pulse-oximetry accurately predicts lung pathology and the immune response during influenza infection. Virology 2009. 390:151-156
- Chandran S, Verhoeven D, Teijaro JR, Fenton M, Farber D. TLR2 engagement primes for expansive effector ad memory CD4 T cells through early effects on DC activation. Journal Immunology 2009. 183: 7832-7841.
- Teijaro JR, Verhoeven D, Page CA, Turner D, Farber DL.Memory CD4 T cells direct protective responses to influenza virus in the lungs through helper-independent mechanisms. J Virol. 2010 Sep;84(18):9217-26. PMC2937635
- Verhoeven D, Nesselbush M, Pichichero M. Lower Nasopharyngeal Epithelial Cell Repair and Diminished Innate Inflammation Responses Contribute to the Onset of Acute Otitis Media in Otitis-Prone Children. Medical Microbiology and Immunology. 2013. Aug;202(4):295-302 PMC3943207
- Verhoeven D, Perrry S, Pichichero M. Vaccination with Streptococcus pneumonia trivalent protein vaccine containing PcpA, PhtD, and PlyD protects against sepsis and lethal pneumonia in an infant murine model. Vaccine. 2014. 32(26):3205-10
- Verhoeven D, PIchichero M. Divergent mucosal and systemic responses in children in response to acute otitis media. Clin. Exp Immunol. 2014. Oct;178(1):94-101
- Verhoeven, D, George MD, Hu W, Dange AT, Smit-McBride, Reay E, Macal M, Sankaran W, Dandekar S. Enhanced innate antiviral gene expression, IFN-α, and cytolytic responses are predictive of mucosal immune recovery during simian immunodeficiency virus infection. Journal of Immunology. 2014 Apr 1;192(7):3308-18
- Verhoeven et al. Contributions to Protection from Streptococcus pneumoniae Infection Using Monovalent Recombinant Protein Vaccine Candidates PcpA, PhtD and PlyD1 in an Infant Murine Model During Challenge. Journal of Clinical Immunology. 2014. Aug;21(8):1037-45
- Verhoeven, D. Xu Q, Pichichero M. Differential Impact of Respiratory Syncytial Virus and Parainfluenza Virus on the Frequency of Acute Otitis Media Is Explained by Lower Adaptive and Innate Immune Responses in Otitis-Prone ChildrenClinical Infectious Diseases. 2014. Aug;59(3):376-83. PMC4155442
- Qingfu Xu, Naveen Surendran, David Verhoeven, Jessica Klapa, Martina Ochs and Michael E. Pichichero Trivalent Pneumococcal Protein Recombinant Vaccine Protects against Lethal Streptococcus pneumoniae Pneumonia and Correlates with Phagocytosis by Neutrophils during Early Pathogenesis. Accepted. Vaccine.