MD (Preventive Medicine), 1996, Beijing Medical University (now Peking University Health Science Center), School of Public Health, Beijing, China.
MS (Molecular Virology), 1999, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine (now China CDC), Institute of Virology, Beijing, China.
PhD (Veterinary Science with an emphasis on molecular virology), 2005, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA.
VDPAM 488 – Laboratory in Clinical Microbiology
VMPM 699 Research Topics
VDPAM 590 Special Topics
Diagnostics, molecular epidemiology, pathogenesis and vaccine development of viruses of veterinary significance.
Zoetis Award for Veterinary Research Excellence (2016)
Iowa State University Award for Early Achievement in Research (2016)
Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine Gray Fellowship (2015)
ISU College of Veterinary Medicine Early-Career Achievement in Research Award (2015)
Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD)
American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV)
American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD)
American Society for Microbiology
American Society for Virology
Selected Refereed Publications (out of 72 as of September 2017)
* Zhang J as the corresponding author.
- Abente EJ, Gauger PC, Walia RR, Rajao DS, Zhang J, Harmon KM, Killian ML, and Vincent AL. (2017). Detection and characterization of an H4N6 avian-lineage virus in pigs in the Midwestern United States. Virology. 511, 56-65.
- Evans AB, Dong P, Loyd H, Kraus G, Zhang J, and Carpenter S. (2017). Identification and characterization of small molecule inhibitors of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus. Antiviral Research. 146, 28-35.
- Ferreyra FM, Arruda B, Stevenson G, Schwartz K, Madson D, Yoon KJ, Zhang J, Pineyro P, Chen Q, and Arruda P. (2017). Development of polioencephalomyelitis in cesarean-derived colostrum-deprived pigs following experimental inoculation with either Teschovirus A serotype 2 or serotype 11. Viruses. 9(7): 179.
- Gimenez-Lirola LG, Zhang J, Carrillo JA, Chen Q, Magtoto R, Poonsuk K, Baum DH, Pineyro P, and Zimmerman J. (2017). Reactivity of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus structural proteins to antibodies against porcine enteric coronaviruses: diagnostic implications. J Clin Microbiol. 55(5): 1426-1436.
- * Zhang J, Zheng Y, Xia X, Chen Q, Bade SA, Yoon KJ, Harmon KM, Gauger PC, Main RG, and Li G. (2017). High-throughput whole genome sequencing of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus from cell culture materials and clinical specimens using next-generation sequencing technology. J Vet Diagn Invest. 29(1), 41-50.
- Poonsuk K, Zhang J, Chen Q, Gonzalez W, Correa da Silva Carrion L, Sun Y, Ji J, Wang C, Main R, Zimmerman J, and Giménez-Lirola L. (2016). Quantifying the effect of lactogenic antibody on porcine epidemic diarrhea virus infection in neonatal piglets. Vet Microbiol. 197: 83-92.
- Gerber P, Lelli D, Zhang J, Strandbygaard B, Moreno A, Lavazza A, Perulli S, Botner A, Comte L, Roche M, Pourquier P, Wang C, and Opriessnig T. (2016). Diagnostic evaluation of assays for detection of antibodies against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) in pigs exposed to different PEDV strains. Prev Vet Med. 135: 87-94.
- * Zhang J. (2016). Porcine deltacoronavirus: overview of infection dynamics, diagnostic methods, prevalence and genetic evolution. Virus Res. 226, 71-84. (Invited review article).
- * Chen Q, Thomas JT, Gimenez-Lirola LG, Hardham JM, Gao Q, Gerber P, Opriessnig T, Zheng Y, Li G, Gauger PC, Madson DM, Magstadt DR, and Zhang J. (2016). Evaluation of serological cross-reactivity and cross-neutralization between the United States porcine epidemic diarrhea virus prototype and S-INDEL-variant strains. BMC Vet Res. 12(1), 70-79.
- * Zhang J, Tsai YL, Lee PY, Chen Q, Zhang Y, Chiang CJ, Shen YH, Li FC, Chang HF, Gauger PC, Harmon KM, and Wang HT. (2016). Evaluation of two singleplex reverse transcription-insulated isothermal PCR tests and a duplex real-time RT-PCR test for the detection of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus and porcine deltacoronavirus. J Virol Methods. 234, 34-42.
- Poonsuk K, Gimenez-Lirola LG, Zhang J, Arruda P, Chen Q, Correa da Silva Carrion L, Magtoto R, Pineyro P, Sarmento L, Wang C, Sun Y, Madson D, Johnson JK, Yoon KJ, Zimmerman JJ, and Main R. (2016). Does Circulating antibody play a role in the protection of piglets against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus? PLoS ONE. 2016 Apr 6;11(4): e0153041.
- * Zhang J. (2016). Coinfection with Type 1 and Type 2 PRRSV. Vet Record. doi: 10.1136/vr.i1505. March 19, 2016: 288-290. (Invited Editorial).
- * Chen Q, Gauger PC, Stafne MR, Thomas JT, Madson DM, Huang H, Zheng Y, Li G, and Zhang J. (2016). Pathogenesis comparison between the United States porcine epidemic diarrhea virus prototype and S-INDEL-variant strains in conventional neonatal piglets. J Gen Virol. 97, 1107-1121.
- Schneider PT, Zhang J, Ramirez A, Wang C, and Holtkamp DJ. (2015). Evaluation of disinfection protocols to reduce virus transmission via livestock transport vehicles using model trailers in experimental conditions. J Swine Health Prod. 23(6), 306-316.
- * Zhang J, Piñeyro P, Chen Q, Zheng Y, Li G, Rademacher C, Derscheid R, Guo B, Yoon K, Madson D, Gauger P, Schwartz K, Harmon K, Linhares D, and Main R. (2015). Full-length genome sequences of Senecavirus A from recent idiopathic vesicular disease outbreaks in United States Swine. Genome Announc. 3(6): e01270-15.
- * Thomas JT, Chen Q, Gauger PC, Gimenez-Lirola LG, Sinha A, Harmon KM, Madson DM, Burrough ER, Magstadt DR, Salzbrenner H, Welch MW, Yoon KJ, Zimmerman JJ, and Zhang J. (2015). Effect of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus infectious doses on infection outcomes in naïve neonatal and weaned pigs. PLoS ONE. 10(10): e0139266.
- Rajao DS, Gauger P, Anderson TK, Lewis NS, Abente EJ, Killian ML, Zhang J, and Vincent AL. (2015). Novel human-like swine H3N2 and H3N1 influenza A viruses detected in pigs are virulent and antigenically distinct. J Virol. 89(22), 11213-11222.
- Sinha A, Gauger PC, Zhang J, Yoon KJ, and Harmon KM. (2015). PCR-based retrospective evaluation of diagnostic samples for emergence of porcine deltacoronavirus in US swine. Vet Microbiol. 179(3), 296-298.
- * Chen Q, Gauger P, Stafne M, Thomas J, Arruda P, Burrough E, Madson D, Brodie J, Magstadt D, Derscheid R, Welch M, and Zhang J. (2015). Pathogenicity and pathogenesis of a United States porcine deltacoronavirus cell culture isolate in 5-day-old neonatal piglets. Virology. 482, 51-59.
- Gerber PF, Xiao C-T, Chen Q, Zhang J, Halbur PG, and Opriessnig T. (2014). The spray-drying process is sufficient to inactivate infectious porcine epidemic diarrhea virus in plasma. Vet Microbiol. 174(1-2), 86-92.
- Opriessnig T, Xiao C-T, Gerber PF, Zhang J, and Halbur PG. (2014). Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus RNA present in commercial spray-dried porcine plasma is not infectious to naïve pigs. PLoS ONE. 9(8): e104766.
- * Zhang J, Chen Q, Gauger PC, Harmon KM, and Yoon KJ. (2014). Reply to ‘Classification of emergent U.S. strains of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus by phylogenetic analysis of nucleocapsid and ORF3 genes’. J Clin Microbiol. 52(9), 3511-3514.
- Balasuriya UB, Zhang J, Go YY, and MacLachlan NJ (2014). Experiences with infectious cDNA clones of equine arteritis virus: lessons learned and insights gained. Virology. 462-463C, 388-403.
- * Li G, Chen Q, Harmon KM, Yoon KJ, Schwartz KJ, Hoogland M, Gauger PC, Main RG, and Zhang J. (2014). Full-length genome sequence of porcine deltacoronavirus strain USA/IA/2014/8734. Genome Announc. 2(2): e00278-14.
- Lowe J, Gauger P, Harmon K, Zhang J, Connor J, Yeske P, Loula T, Levis I, Dufresne L, and Main R. (2014). The role of harvest plant lairage and transportation in propagating the initial stages of an outbreak of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus in the United States in 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 20(5), 872-874.
- * Chen Q, Li G, Stasko J, Thomas JT, Stensland WR, Pillatzki AE, Gauger PC, Schwartz KJ, Madson D, Yoon KJ, Stevenson GW, Burrough ER, Harmon KM, Main RG, and Zhang J. (2014). Isolation and characterization of porcine epidemic diarrhea viruses associated with the 2013 disease outbreak among swine in the United States. J Clin Microbiol. 52(1), 234-243.
- Zhang J, Go YY, Huang C, Meade BJ, Lu Z, Snijder EJ, Timoney PJ, and Balasuriya UBR. (2012). Development and characterization of an infectious cDNA clone of the modified live virus vaccine strain of equine arteritis virus. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 19 (8), 1312-1321.
- Lu Zǂ, Zhang Jǂ, Huang C, Go YY, Faaberg KS, Rowland RR, Timoney PJ, and Balasuriya UBR. (2012). Chimeric viruses containing the N-terminal ectodomains of GP5 and M proteins of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus do not change the cellular tropism of equine arteritis virus. Virology. 432 (1), 99-109 [ǂ The first two authors should be acknowledged as joint first authors].
- Zhang J, Timoney PJ, Shuck KM, Seoul G, Go YY, Lu Z, Powell DG, Meade BJ, and Balasuriya UBR. (2010). Molecular epidemiology and genetic characterization of equine arteritis virus isolates associated with the 2006/2007 multi-state disease occurrence in the USA. J Gen Virol. 91 (Pt9), 2286-2301.
- Go YY, Zhang J, Timoney PJ, Cook RF, Horohov DW, and Balasuriya UBR. (2010). Complex interactions between the major and minor envelope proteins of equine arteritis virus determine its tropism for equine CD3+ T lymphocytes and CD14+ monocytes. J Virol. 84 (10), 4898-4911.
- Zhang J, Stein DA, Timoney PJ, and Balasuriya UBR. (2010). Curing of HeLa cells persistently infected with equine arteritis virus by a peptide-conjugated morpholino oligomer. Virus Res. 150 (1-2), 138-142.
- Zhang J, Timoney PJ, MacLachlan NJ, and Balasuriya UBR. (2008). Identification of an additional neutralization determinant of equine arteritis virus. Virus Res. 138 (1-2), 150-153.
- Zhang J, Timoney PJ, MacLachlan NJ, McCollum WH, and Balasuriya UBR. (2008). Persistent equine arteritis virus infection in HeLa cells. J Virol. 82 (17), 8456-8464.
- Zhang J, Go YY, MacLachlan NJ, Meade BJ, Timoney PJ, and Balasuriya UBR. (2008). Amino acid substitutions in the structural or non-structural proteins of a vaccine strain of equine arteritis virus are associated with its attenuation. Virology. 378 (2), 355-362.
- Zhang J, Guy JS, Snijder EJ, Denniston DA, Timoney PJ, and Balasuriya UBR. (2007). Genomic characterization of equine coronavirus. Virology. 369 (1), 92-104.
- Zhang J, Miszczak F, Pronost S, Fortier C, Balasuriya UBR., Zientara S, Fortier G, and Timoney PJ (2007). Genetic variation and phylogenetic analysis of 22 French isolates of equine arteritis virus. Arch Virol. 152 (11), 1977-1994.
* Zhang J as the corresponding author
- Balasuriya UBR and Zhang J. (2017). Chapter 2. Development and characterization of an infectious cDNA clone of equine arteritis virus. In Reverse Genetics of RNA Viruses: Methods and Protocols. Edited by Daniel R. Perez. Methods Mol Biol. 1602, 11-28.
- * Zhang J, Gauger P, and Harmon K. (2016). Chapter 46. Swine influenza A virus. In Molecular Detection of Animal Viral Pathogens. Edited by Dongyou Liu. 399-406.
- * Zhang J and Gauger PC. (2014). Chapter 22. Isolation of swine influenza virus in cell cultures and embryonated chicken eggs. In Animal Influenza Virus (Second Edition). Edited by Erica Spackman. Methods Mol Biol. 1161, 265-276.
- * Zhang J and Harmon KM. (2014). Chapter 23. RNA extraction from swine samples and detection of influenza A virus in swine by real-time RT-PCR. In Animal Influenza Virus (Second Edition). Edited by Erica Spackman. Methods Mol Biol. 1161, 277-293.
Non-Refereed Factsheet and Extension Publications (out of 26 as of September 2017)
- Welch M, Park J, Gauger P, Harmon K, Lin K, Pineyro P, and Zhang J. (2016). Porcine parainfluenza virus type 1 (PPIV-1) in U.S. swine: summary of veterinary diagnostic laboratory data. Animal Industry Report 663 (1), 69.
- Cochrane RA, Dritz SS, Woodworth JC, Huss AR, Stark CR, Saensukjaroenphon M, DeRouchey JM, Tokach MD, Goodband RD, Bai J, Chen Q, Zhang J, Gauger PC, Derscheid RJ, Main RG, and Jones CK. (2016). Assessing the effects of MCFA, fat sources on PEDV virulence. National Hog Farmer. December 2016, 6-8.
- Rademacher C, Gauger P, Lin K, Zhang J, Pineyro P, and Harmon K. (2016). Porcine parainfluenza virus type 1 (PPIV-1): member of the porcine respiratory disease complex? National Hog Farmer. May 27, 2016.
- Rademacher C, Gauger P, Zhang J, Harmon K, and Linhares D. (2016). PRRSV sequencing success dependent upon cycle threshold (CT) values. National Hog Farmer. Feb 1, 2016.
- Linhares D, Rademacher C, Zhang J, Pineyro P, Gauger P, Yoon KJ, and Main R. (2015). Senecavirus A impacting neonatal mortality. National Hog Farmer. Sep 28, 2015.
- Thomas PR, Karriker L, Ramirez A, Zhang J, Ellingson J, Myers J, and Holtkamp D. (2015). Methods for inactivating PEDV in hog trailers. Animal Industry Report 661(1), 91.
- Holtkamp D, Thomas P, Ellingson J, Ramirez A, Karriker L, and Zhang J. (2015). Researchers test PEDV ‘trailer’ life. National Hog Farmer. February 2015, 10-12.
- Gauger PC, Zhang J, and Vincent AL. (2012). Flu virus continues to evolve in swine: clinical signs remain the same, but flu viruses have dramatically changed. National Hog Farmer. June 2012, 24-27.