MD, MS, PhD
1577 Vet Med
Education & Certifications
Ph.D. (2005) Veterinary Science (molecular virology), University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
M.S. (1999) Molecular Virology, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Institute of Virology, Beijing, China
M.D. (1996) Beijing Medical University, School of Public Health, Beijing, China
VDPAM488 Laboratory in Clinical Microbiology (2013-present)
VDPAM562X – Applied Diagnostic Technologies and Medicine for Infectious Diseases
VMPM 699 Research Topics Course (2013-present)
VDPAM699 Research Topics Course (2019-present)
Rabies Lectures to Public Health Students (2014-present)
Research Focus & Interests
Development and validation of diagnostic assays for viruses of veterinary significance
Refine lineage classification system and improve diagnostics of PRRSV
Pathogenesis, immune responses and vaccine development of swine enteric coronaviruses
Viral pathogens involved in swine vesicular lesions
Evaluation of various disinfectants against various veterinary viruses
Honors & Awards
Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine International Service Award (2021)
MorrisTONE Faculty Fellowship (2020-2021)
Iowa State University Emerging Leaders Academy (2019-2020)
JVDI Best Full Manuscript Award (2018)
Zoetis Award for Veterinary Research Excellence (2016)
Iowa State University Award for Early Achievement in Research (2016)
ISU College of Veterinary Medicine Early-Career Achievement in Research Award (2015)
2022-Present AAVLD Northcentral Representative
2022-Present ISU VDPAM Research and Graduate Studies Committee, member
2020-Present ISU College of Veterinary Medicine Diversity and Inclusion Committee, member
2019-Present Annual Veterinary Diagnostic Conference – China Advisory/Planning Committee
2019-2022 AAVLD Virology Committee Chair
2019-Present Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation (JVDI), Virology Editor
2017-Present Frontiers Veterinary Infectious Diseases, Editorial Board Member and Review Editor
2015-2021 ISU Research Foundation Industry Advisory Committee, member
2014-2020 ISU College of Veterinary Medicine Research Advisory Committee, member
2013-2019 ISU VDPAM Research and Graduate Studies Committee, member
2013-Present Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), member
2012-Present American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV), member
2010-Present American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), member
2006-Present American Society for Microbiology (ASM), member
2003-Present American Society for Virology (ASV), member
Diseases of Swine (11th Edition). Edited by Zimmerman JJ, Karriker LA, Ramirez A, Schwartz KJ, Stevenson GW, and Zhang J. (2019). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Selected Publications: (10 out of 112 refereed journal articles and/or book chapters) * Corresponding author
- Schumacher L, Chen Q, Fredericks L, Gauger P, Bandrick M, Keith M, Giménez-Lirola LG, Magstadt D, Yim-im W, Welch M, Zhang J. (2022). Evaluation of the efficacy of an S-INDEL PEDV strain, administered to pregnant gilts, against a virulent non-S-INDEL PEDV challenge in newborn piglets. Viruses. 14: 1801.
- Cui X, Xia D, Huang X, Sun Y, Shi M, Zhang J, Li G, Yang Y, Wang H, Cai X, An T. (2022). Recombinant characteristics based on 949 PRRSV-2 genomic sequences in 1991-2021 revealed viral multiplication ability contribute to the dominant recombination. Microbiol Spectr. Sep 8: e02934-22.
- Yen L, Magtoto R, Mora-Diaz JC, Carrillo-Ávila JA, Zhang J, Cheng TY, Magtoto P, Nelli RK, Baum DH, Zimmerman JJ, Giménez-Lirola LG. (2022). The N-terminal subunit of the porcine deltacoronavirus spike recombinant protein (S1) does not serologically cross-react with other porcine coronaviruses. Pathogens. 11: 910.
- Yim-im W, Huang H, Zheng Y, Li G, Rawal G, Gauger P, Krueger K, Main R, Zhang J. (2022). Characterization of PRRSV in clinical samples and the corresponding cell culture isolates. Transbound Emerg Dis. 69: e3045-e3059.
- Zhang J. (2022). Pig bioassay to assess infectivity of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus detected in various sample matrices. In Animal Coronaviruses, second edition. Edited by Leyi Wang. pp. 249-262.
- Zhang Q, Rawal G, Qian J, Ibrahim H, Zhang J, Liang D, Lu M. (2022). An integrated magneto-opto-fluidic biosensor for rapid on-chip assay of respiratory viruses of livestock. Lab on a Chip. 22(17): 3236-3244.
- Zhu J, Rawal G, Aljets E, Yim-im W, Yang YL, Huang YW, Krueger K, Gauger P, Main R, Zhang J. (2022). Development and clinical applications of a 5-plex real-time RT-PCR for swine enteric coronaviruses. Viruses. 14: 1536.
- Yuan X, Shang P, Yim-im W, Sun Y, Zhang J, Firth A, Lowe J, Fang Y. (2022). Molecular characterization of emerging variants of PRRSV in the United States: new features of the -2/-1 programmed ribosomal frameshifting signal in the nsp2 region. Virology. 573: 39-49.
- Sharma A, Zeller M, Souza C, Anderson T, Vincent A, Harmon K, Li G, Zhang J, Gauger P. (2022). Characterization of a 2016-2017 human-seasonal H3 influenza A virus spillover now endemic in United States swine. mSphere. 7(1): e00809-21.
- Rawal G, Yim-im W, Chamba F, Smith C, Okones J, Francisco C, Zhang J. (2022). Development and validation of a reverse transcription real-time PCR assay for specific detection of PRRSGard vaccine-like virus. Transbound Emerg Dis. 69: 1212-1226.
Google Scholar link: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=9Ne0PG0AAAAJ