- Ph.D. (2005) Veterinary Science (molecular virology), University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- M.S. (1999) Molecular Virology, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Institute of Virology, Beijing, China
- M.D. (1996) Beijing Medical University, School of Public Health, Beijing, China
- VDPAM488 Laboratory in Clinical Microbiology (2013-present)
- VDPAM562X – Applied Diagnostic Technologies and Medicine for Infectious Diseases
- VMPM 699 Research Topics Course (2013-present)
- VDPAM699 Research Topics Course (2019-present)
- Rabies Lectures to Public Health Students (2014-present)
- VDPAM590 Special Topics -- Veterinary Virology Diagnostic Methods (2013)
- Development and validation of diagnostic assays for viruses of veterinary significance
- Refine lineage classification system and improve diagnostics of PRRSV
- Pathogenesis, immune responses and vaccine development of swine enteric coronaviruses
- Viral pathogens involved in swine vesicular lesions
- Evaluation of various disinfectants against various veterinary viruses
- JVDI Best Full Manuscript Award (2018)
- Zoetis Award for Veterinary Research Excellence (2016)
- Iowa State University Award for Early Achievement in Research (2016)
- ISU College of Veterinary Medicine Early-Career Achievement in Research Award (2015)
2020-present ISU College of Veterinary Medicine Diversity and Inclusion Committee, member
2019-2020 ISU Emerging Leaders Academy
2019-present The Annual Veterinary Diagnostic Conference – China Advisory/Planning Committee
2019-present AAVLD Virology Committee Chair
2019-present Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation (JVDI), Virology Section Editor
2017-present Frontiers Veterinary Infectious Diseases, Editorial Board Member and Review Editor
2015-Present ISU Research Foundation Industry Advisory Committee, member
2014-2020 ISU College of Veterinary Medicine Research Advisory Committee, member
2013-2019 ISU VDPAM Research and Graduate Studies Committee, member
- 2013-Present Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), member
- 2012-Present American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV), member
- 2010-Present American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), member
- 2006-Present American Society for Microbiology (ASM), member
- 2003-Present American Society for Virology (ASV), member
Diseases of Swine (11th Edition). Edited by Zimmerman JJ, Karriker LA, Ramirez A, Schwartz KJ, Stevenson GW, and Zhang J. (2019). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Selected Publications: (10 out of 112 refereed journal articles and/or book chapters) * Corresponding author
- *Zhang J, Yoon KJ, and Zimmerman JJ. (2019). Chapter 23. Overview of Viruses. In Diseases of Swine (11th Edition). pp. 425-437.
- *Zhang J, Nfon C, Tsai CF, Lee CH, Fredericks L, Chen Q, Sinha A, Bade S, Harmon K, Piñeyro P, Gauger P, Tsai YL, Wang HTT, and Lee PYA. (2019). Development and evaluation of a real-time RT-PCR and a field-deployable RT-insulated isothermal PCR for the detection of Seneca Valley virus. BMC Vet Res. 15:168.
- *Zhang J, Yim-Im W, Chen Q, Zheng Y, Schumacher L, Huang H, Gauger P, Harmon K, and Li G. (2018). Identification of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus variant with a large spike gene deletion from a clinical swine sample in the United States. Virus Genes. 54(2): 323-327.
- *Zhang J, Zheng Y, Xia X, Chen Q, Bade SA, Yoon KJ, Harmon KM, Gauger PC, Main RG, and Li G. (2017). High-throughput whole genome sequencing of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus from cell culture materials and clinical specimens using next-generation sequencing technology. J Vet Diagn Invest. 29(1): 41-50.
- *Zhang J. (2016). Porcine deltacoronavirus: overview of infection dynamics, diagnostics methods, prevalence and genetic evolution. Virus Res. 226: 71-84. (Invited Review Article).
- Chen Q, Gauger PC, Stafne MR, Thomas JT, Madson DM, Huang H, Zheng Y, Li G, and *Zhang J. (2016). Pathogenesis comparison between the United States porcine epidemic diarrhea virus prototype and S-INDEL-variant strains in conventional neonatal piglets. J Gen Virol. 97, 1107-1121.
- Chen Q, Thomas JT, Giménez-Lirola LG, Hardham JM, Gao Q, Gerber P, Opriessnig T, Zheng Y, Li G, Gauger PC, Madson DM, Magstadt DR, and *Zhang J. (2016). Evaluation of serological cross-reactivity and cross-neutralization between the United States porcine epidemic diarrhea virus prototype and S-INDEL-variant strains. BMC Vet Res. 12(1): 70.
- Thomas JT, Chen Q, Gauger PC, Giménez-Lirola LG, Sinha A, Harmon KM, Madson DM, Burrough ER, Magstadt DR, Salzbrenner H, Welch MW, Yoon KJ, Zimmerman JJ, and *Zhang J. (2015). Effect of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus infectious doses on infection outcomes in naïve conventional neonatal and weaned pigs. PLoS ONE. 10(10): e0139266.
- Chen Q, Gauger P, Stafne M, Thomas J, Arruda P, Burrough E, Madson D, Brodie J, Magstadt D, Derscheid R, Welch M, and *Zhang J. (2015). Pathogenicity and pathogenesis of a United States porcine deltacoronavirus cell culture isolate in 5-day-old neonatal piglets. Virology. 482: 51-59.
- Chen Q, Li G, Stasko J, Thomas JT, Stensland WR, Pillatzki AE, Gauger PC, Schwartz KJ, Madson D, Yoon KJ, Stevenson GW, Burrough ER, Harmon KM, Main RG, and *Zhang J. (2014). Isolation and characterization of porcine epidemic diarrhea viruses associated with the 2013 disease outbreak among swine in the United States. J Clin Microbiol. 52(1): 234-243.
Google Scholar link: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=9Ne0PG0AAAAJ