- BS (Biology, Biological Anthropology): Duke University, 2005
- DVM: North Carolina State University, 2011
- Small Animal Rotating Internship: Ohio State University, 2012
- Cardiology Residency: North Carolina State University, 2015
- Diplomated of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology), 2015
- VCS 475: Clinical cardiology elective rotation
- VCS 444: Small animal medicine
- VCS 402: Clinical cardiology elective course
- Small animal clinical cardiology
- Interventional cardiology
- Emergency diagnosis of congestive heart failure
- Scholarship of teaching
- University: Iowa State University Presidential Search and Screen Committee (CVM Representative)
- Specialty college: ACVIM Cardiology Forum Subcommittee (Co-Chair)
- Department (Veterinary Clinical Sciences):
- House Officer Committee (Co-Chair)
- Cardiology Faculty Search Committee (Chair)
- Clinical Year Education Program Visiting Scholar Committee (Member)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Cardiology
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, Keene BW, Tou SP, DeFrancesco TC. Accuracy of point-of-care lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of cardiogenic pulmonary edema in dogs and cats with acute dyspnea. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2017;250(6):666-675.
Ward JL, DeFrancesco TC, Tou SP, Atkins CE, Griffith EH, Keene BW. Outcome and survival in canine sick sinus syndrome and sinus node dysfunction: 93 cases (2002-2014). J Vet Cardiol 2016;18(3):199-212.
Palerme JS, Jones A, Ward JL, Balakrishnan N, Breitschwerdt EB, Keene BW. Infective endocarditis in 13 cats. J Vet Cardiol 2016:18(3):213-225.
McLaughlin AC, Ward JL, Keene BW. Development of a veterinary surgical checklist. Erg Design 2016;24:27-34.
Ward JL, Defrancesco TC, Tou SP, Atkins CE, Griffith E, Keene BW. Complication rates associated with transvenous pacemaker implantation in dogs with high-grade atrioventricular block performed during versus after normal business hours. J Vet Int Med 2015;29(1):157-63.
Ward JL, Schober KE, Luis-Fuentes V, Bonagura JD. Effects of sedation on echocardiographic variables of left atrial and left ventricular function in healthy cats. J Feline Med Surg 2012;14(10):678-685.