- BS (Biology, Biological Anthropology): Duke University, 2005
- DVM: North Carolina State University, 2011
- Small Animal Rotating Internship: Ohio State University, 2012
- Cardiology Residency: North Carolina State University, 2015
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology), 2015
- VCS 475: Clinical cardiology elective rotation
- VCS 444: Small animal medicine
- VCS 403: Clinical cardiology elective course
- Small animal clinical cardiology
- Point-of-care ultrasound for the emergency diagnosis of congestive heart failure
- Cardiovascular effects of glucocorticoids (steroids)
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Zoetis Distinguished Veterinary Teacher Award, August 2019
- Iowa State University Award for Early Achievement in Teaching, April 2019
- SAVMA Award for Teaching Excellence in Clinical Sciences, April 2019
- Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine Award for Early Achievement in Teaching, April 2018
- Faculty Work/Life Advisory Committee
- Specialty college:
- ACVIM Cardiology Research Committee
- Department (Veterinary Clinical Sciences):
- House Officer Committee (Chair)
- Research Committee (Member)
- Departmental Advisory Committee (Member)
- Clinical Year Education Program Visiting Scholar Committee (Member)
- International Veterinary Education Committee (Member)
- Ophthalmology Faculty Search Committee (Member)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Cardiology
For a full listing of publications, please follow link to Dr. Ward's Google Scholar profile
Ward JL, Chou YY, Yuan L, Dorman KS, Mochel JP. Retrospective evaluation of a dose-dependent effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors on long-term outcome in dogs with cardiac disease. J Vet Intern Med 2021 (epub ahead of print; https://doi.org/10.1111/jvim.16236).
Ward JL, Murphy SD, Lisciandro GR, Tropf MA, Viall AK, DeFrancesco TC. Comparison of curvilinear-array (microconvex) versus phased-array transducers for performance of lung ultrasound in dogs. Am J Vet Res 2021;82:619-628.
Chou YY, Ward JL, Barron LZ, Murphy SD, Tropf MA, Lisciandro GR, Bonagura JD, Yuan Y, Mochel JP, McManamey A, DeFrancesco TC. Diagnostic utility of caudal vena cava ultrasound in dogs with cavitary effusions or heart failure..
Ward JL, Mulherin BL, Vengrin CA. Virtual VM4 Clinical Rotations: a COVID-19 Pandemic Response at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine. J Vet Med Educ 2021 (epub ahead of print; doi: 10.3138/jvme-2020-0122).
Murphy SD, Ward JL, Viall AK, Tropf MA, Walton RA, Fowler J, Ware WA, DeFrancesco TC. Diagnostic utility of point-of-care lung ultrasound for monitoring congestive heart failure in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2020 (epub ahead of print; https://doi.org/10.1111/jvim.15990).
Ward JL, Kussin EZ, Tropf MA, Tou SP, DeFrancesco TC, Keene BW. Retrospective evaluation of the safety and tolerability of pimobendan in cats with obstructive versus nonobstructive cardiomyopathy. J Vet Intern Med 2020 (epub ahead of print; http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jvim.15920).
Murphy SD, Ward JL, Smith JD, Gall AJ, Olds JE. Long-term management of congestive heart failure secondary to mitral stenosis in a ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2020;257:849-854.
Ward JL, Vengrin CA. Comparison of graphic organizers versus online flash cards as study aids in an elective veterinary cardiology course. J Vet Med Educ 2020 (epub ahead of print; https://doi.org/10.3138/jvme.2019-0136).
Ward JL, Vengrin CA. Comparison of instructor-provided versus student-generated graphic organizers in an elective veterinary cardiology course. J Vet Med Educ 2021;48:96-104.
Tinklenberg RL, Murphy SD, Mochel JP, Seo YJ, Mahaffey AL, Yan Y, Ward JL. Dose-responsive effects of oral short-term prednisone therapy on clinicopathologic and hemodynamic variables in healthy dogs. Am J Vet Res 2020;81:317-325.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, Ware WA, Miles KG, Viall AK, DeFrancesco TC. Lung ultrasound findings in 100 dogs with various etiologies of cough. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2019;255:574-583.
Khelik IA, Berger DJ, Mochel JL, Seo YJ, Palerme JS, Ware WA, Ward JL. Clinicopathologic, hemodynamic, and echocardiographic effects of short-term oral administration of anti-inflammatory doses of prednisolone to systemically normal cats. Am J Vet Res 2019;80:743-755.
Ward JL, Marcketti SB. The effect of graphic organizers on learning outcomes, study efficiency, and student satisfaction in an elective veterinary cardiology course. J Vet Med Educ 2019;46:353-366.
Ward JL, McLaughlin AC, Burzette R, Keene BW. The effect of a surgical safety checklist on major complication rates associated with permanent transvenous pacemaker implantation in dogs. J Vet Cardiol 2019;22:72-83.
Ward JL, Ware WA, Viall AK. Association between atrial fibrillation and right-sided manifestations of congestive heart failure in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease or dilated cardiomyopathy. J Vet Cardiol 2019;21:18-27.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, Ware WA, Viall AK, Aona BD, Kurtz KA, Reina-Doreste Y, DeFrancesco TC. Evaluation of point-of-care thoracic ultrasound and NT-proBNP for the diagnosis of congestive heart failure in cats with respiratory distress. J Vet Intern Med 2018;32:1530-1540.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, DeFrancesco TD. Distribution of alveolar-interstitial syndrome in dogs and cats with respiratory distress as assessed by lung ultrasound versus thoracic radiographs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2018;28:415-428.
Masters AK, Berger DJ, Ware WA, Langenfeld NR, Coetzee JF, Mochel JP, Ward JL. Effects of short-term anti-inflammatory glucocorticoid treatment on clinicopathologic, echocardiographic, and hemodynamic variables in systemically healthy dogs. Am J Vet Res 2018;79:411-423.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, Keene BW, Tou SP, DeFrancesco TC. Accuracy of point-of-care lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of cardiogenic pulmonary edema in dogs and cats with acute dyspnea. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2017;250(6):666-675.