- PhD, Molecular and Cellular Biology (Cum Laude), University of Jaén (Spain), 2009
- MS, Occupational Risk Prevention, Institut Universitari de Ciencia I Tecnología (Spain), 2005
- MS, Biochemistry, University of Granada (Spain), 2002
- BS, Biochemistry, University of Granada (Spain), 2002
- VDPAM 455 - Diagnostic Laboratory Practicum
- VDPAM 560X - Ecology of Infectious Diseases
- VDPAM 562X - Applied Diagnostic Technologies
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru- (Post-Graduate Course) - Diagnostic Immunology Applied to Swine Medicine
- Dr. Gimenez-Lirola has over 20 years of experience in the field of infectious diseases. His background blended in the interface of academia-industry. Overall, Dr. Gimenez-Lirola’s research activity is commitment to the highest standards in “science with practice” towards conducting original research to design, develop, and implement new in vitro pathogen-specific detection tools as well as the development of in vitro/ex vivo culture models to investigate the immunopathogenesis of viral diseases with particular emphasis on swine. Dr. Gimenez-Lirola’s group is particularly focused on the characterization of re/emerging animal (PEDV, PHEV, PDCoV, PHEV) and human (SARS-like CoVs, NL63, HEC, etc) coronaviruses. His applied research has been translated into over 100 peer reviewed and non-refereed articles and 420 proceedings, abstracts and oral presentations.
- Andalusian Public Health System Biobank (Granada, Spain), Scientific Committee Member.
- Journal Pathogens, Guess Editor special call “Immune Response to Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus”.
- National Science Foundation Corps (I-Corps), Iowa State University.
- Startup Factory Program, Iowa State University.
- The “3-min pitch” during the 19th International Symposium of the World Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (ISWAVLD), Committee Member.
- Team Science Academy Program, Member.
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians Annual meeting (Kansas City), Moderator.
- North American PRRS Symposium (Chicago), Moderator.
- North American PRRSV symposium (Chicago), Scientific Committee.
- Member of the Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine Graduate Studies and Research Committee at Iowa State University.
- Member of the College of Veterinary Medicine Research Advisory Committee at Iowa State University.
- Member of the College of Veterinary Medicine Seed Grant proposals Committee at Iowa State University.
- Member of the College of Veterinary Medicine International Committee.
- Journal Pathogens, Topic Editorial Board Member.
- National Swine Improvement Federation, Member.
- American Association of Swine Veterinarians, Affiliated Member.
- American Society for Virology, Member.
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association, Member.
- USDA North Central Regional Project 229 “Detection and control of PRRSV and emerging viral diseases of swine”, Member.
- Journal of Veterinary Infectious Diseases Frontiers Veterinary Science, Editorial Board Member.
- American Society for Microbiology, Member.
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Medicine, Editorial Board Member.
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, Member.
Mora-Díaz JC, Piñeyro P, Rauh R, Nelson W, Sankoh Z, Gregg E, Carrillo-Ávila JA, Shen H, Nelli RK, Zimmerman J, Giménez-Lirola LG*. (2021). Porcine hemagglutinating encephalomyelitis virus infection in vivo and ex vivo. Journal Virology. 2021 May 24;95(12):e02335-20. doi: 10.1128/JVI.02335-20. Print 2021 May 24.
Poeta Silva AP, Magtoto R, Meiroz De Souza Almeida H, McDaniel A, Magtoto P, Baum DH, Clavijo M, Arruda BL, Zimmerman JJ, Giménez-Lirola LG*. (2020). Performance of Commercial Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae Serum Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays under Experimental and Field Conditions. Journal Clinical Microbiology. 2020 Nov 18;58(12):e00485-20. doi: 10.1128/JCM.00485-20. Print 2020 Nov 18.
Mora-Díaz JC, Piñeyro PE, Shen H, Schwartz KJ, Vannucci F, Li G, Arruda B, Giménez-Lirola LG*. (2020). Isolation of PCV3 from perinatal and reproductive cases of PCV3-associated disease and in vivo characterization of PCV3 replication in CD/CD growing pigs. Viruses, 12(2):219.
Giménez-Lirola LG*, Meiroz-De-Souza-Almeida H, Magtoto R, McDaniel AJ, Merodio MM, Matias Ferreyra FS, Poonsuk K, Gatto IRH, Baum DH, Ross RF, Arruda PHE, Schwartz KJ, Zimmerman JJ, Derscheid RJ, Arruda BL. (2019). Early detection and differential serodiagnosis of Mycoplasma hyorhinis and Mycoplasma hyosynoviae infections. PLoS ONE, 14(10): e0223459.
Magtoto R, Poonsuk K, Baum D, Zhang J, Chen Q, Ji J, Piñeyro P, Zimmerman J, Giménez-Lirola LG*. (2019). Evaluation of the serologic cross-reactivity between transmissible gastroenteritis coronavirus and porcine respiratory coronavirus using commercial blocking ELISA kits. mSphere, 4:2.
Poonsuk K, Zhang J, Chen C, Gonzalez W, Correa da Silva Carrion L, Yaxuan S, Wang C, Main R, Zimmerman J, Giménez-Lirola LG*. (2017). Quantifying the effect of lactogenic antibody on porcine epidemic diarrhea virus infection in neonatal piglets. Veterinary Microbiology, 197:83-92.
Giménez-Lirola LG*, Zhang J, Carrillo JA, Chen Q, Magtoto R, Poonsuk K, Baum D, Piñeyro P, Zimmerman J. (2017). Reactivity of anti-PEDV structural protein antibodies to porcine enteric coronaviruses: diagnostic implications. Journal Clinical Microbiology, 55(5):1426-1436.
Giménez-Lirola LG*, Mur L, Rivera B, Mogler M, Lizano S, Goodell C, Harris DL, Gallardo C, Arias M, Rowland RRR, Sánchez-Vizcaíno JM, Zimmerman J. (2016). Detection of African swine fever virus antibodies in serum and oral fluid specimens from acutely infected animals using a recombinant protein 30 (rp30) indirect ELISA. PLoS One, 11(9).
Giménez-Lirola LG*, Baum D, C Rademacher C, Linhares D, Harmon K, Rotolo M, Sun Y, Baum D, J Zimmerman J, Pineyro P. (2016). Serological and Molecular detection of Senecavirus A associated with an outbreak of Swine Idiopathic Vesicular Disease and Neonatal Mortality. Journal Clinical Microbiology, 54(8):2082-9.
Giménez LG, Rojas J, Rojas A, Mendoza J, Camacho AG. (2009). SARS-associated coronavirus diagnostic kit: Development of an ELISA-based antibody detection test with a cocktail of nucleocapsid and spike SARS-CoV proteins. Clinical Vaccine Immunology, 16:241-245.