Education & Certifications
- BA, Biology and Chemistry, 1987, Whitman College, Walla Walla, Washington
- PhD, Cellular, Viral and Molecular Biology, 1994, University of Utah, School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah
- BMS502, Methods in Biomedical Sciences
BMS599, Creative Component
TOX502, Toxicology Methods
BBMB615, Molecular Immunology
VMPM520, Medical Immunology
Research Focus & Interests
- Structure-function of viral envelope glycoproteins
- virus-host interactions
- molecular mechanism of virus entry
- development of virus entry inhibitors
- vaccine development
- host immune responses
- B-cell immunity
- structure-based immunogen design
- vector and platform development for antigen delivery
- HIV-1, SARS-CoV, PRRSV, and Influenza
Honors & Awards
- Honors at Entrance, Whitman College (1983)
- Whitman College Scholarship (1983-1987)
- Research Fellowship Award. The Northwest College and University Association for Science (1986, 1987)
- Graduate Student Fellowship Award. NATO Advanced Study Institute and EEC (1992)
- Graduate Student Fellowship Award. American Society for Virology (1993)
- Post-Doctoral Intramural Research Training Award. National Institutes of Health, (1994 to 1998)
- Plaque of Appreciation for Plenary Lecture. Korean Society of Infectious Diseases. (Seoul, Korea; November 2002)
- New Investigator Travel Scholarship. Keystone Symposia (Whistler, Canada; April 2004)
- Plaque of Appreciation. Microbiological Society of Korea (2006)
- Plaque of Appreciation. Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology. (2007)
- Ramsey Lecture. Iowa State University (2009)
- Lloyd Chair in Biomedical Sciences, Iowa State University (2009 - 2014)
- Plaque of Appreciation. Korean Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology (2011)
- Plaque of Appreciation. Korean Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (April 2016). Invited as a speaker for the ULTRA Program administered by KOFST.
- CWRU Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD) Steering Committee (2004 - 2007)
- Group Leader, Vaccine Working Group; CWRU Center for AIDS Research (2008 - 2009)
- Chair, Graduate Curriculum Committee, College of Veterinary Medicine, ISU (2014 - 2016)
- Biotechnology Council, ISU (2011 - 2014)
- ISU, CVM, BMS Departmental P&T Committee (2010-present)
- ISU, CVM, BMS Graduate Education and Research Committee (2013-2016)
- Associate Chair, Interdepartmental Microbiology Graduate Program (2012-2014)
- Chair and DOGE, Interdepartmental Microbiology Graduate Program (2014-2016)
- ISU, CVM, International Committee (2016-Present)
- ISU, CVM, BMS Governance Committee (2016-Present)
- NIH Study Section: HIV/AIDS Vaccines (VACC) Study Section Regular Member (2012 to 2018)
- American Society of Microbiology
- International AIDS Society
- American Society of Virology (Lifetime Member)
- Banerjee, S., H. Shi, M. Banasik, H. Moon, W. Lees, Y. Qin, A. Harley, A. Shepherd, and M. W. Cho (2017). Evaluation of a novel multi-immunogen vaccine strategy for targeting 4E10/10E8 neutralizing epitopes on HIV-1 gp41 membrane proximal external region. Virology 505: 113-126.
- Banerjee S, Shi H, Habte H. H., Qin Y, M. W. Cho. (2016). Modulating immunogenic properties of HIV-1 gp41 membrane-proximal external region by destabilizing six-helix bundle structure. Virology 490:17-26. PMID: 26803471.
- Habte H. H., S. Banerjee, H. Shi, Y. Qin, M. W. Cho. (2015). Immunogenic properties of a trimeric gp41-based immunogen containing an exposed membrane-proximal external region. Virology 486:187-197. PMC4679429.
- Qin Y., S. Banerjee, A. Agrawal, H. Shi, M. Banasik, F. Lin, K. Rohl, C. LaBranche, D. C. Montefiori, M. W. Cho. (2015). Characterization of a large panel of rabbit monoclonal antibodies against HIV-1 gp120 and isolation of novel neutralizing antibodies against the V3 loop. PLOS One. 10(6):e0128823. PMCID: PMC4454676.
- Qin Y., H. Shi, S. Banerjee, A. Agrawal, M. Banasik, M. W. Cho (2014). Detailed characterization of antibody responses against HIV-1 group M consensus gp120 in rabbits. Retrovirology. 11: 125. PMID: 25527085.
- Qin, Y, M.B. Banasik, S. Kim, A. Penn-Nicholson, H.H. Habte, C. Labranche, D.C. Montefiori, C. Wang, M. W. Cho. 2014. Eliciting Neutralizing Antibodies with gp120 Outer Domain Constructs Based on M-Group Consensus Sequence. Virology. 462-463: 363-376. PMCID: PMC4125429.
- Penn-Nicholson, A., D. P. Han, S. J. Kim, H. Park, R. Ansari, D. C. Montefiori, and M. W. Cho (2008). Assessment of antibody responses against gp41 in HIV-1-infected patients using soluble gp41 fusion proteins and peptides derived from M group consensus envelope. Virology. 372: 442-56. PMCID: PMC2293309.